Friday, February 06, 2004

More Randomness

Mostly sports items today.

* It's nice to see former BG Falcon Antonio Daniels doing well in the NBA:
Daniels offers Sonics some options

* I only saw Daniels play once as a collegian; Bowling Green played at Wright State when I went to school there before transferring to BGSU. Although still a Wright State student, I was quietly cheering for BG, because I had already decided to transfer.

* Right now, there is one former Falcon in the NBA (Daniels, although Keith McLeod will hopefully be rejoining the league before long) and one former Wright State Raider (Vitaly Potapenko). As it happens, both are now on the same team (the Seattle Supersonics). This is good for me.

* Something that's just kind of funny: at WSU, Potapenko's last name was pronounced pah-ta-PEEN-ko; now, in the NBA, it's poe-TAH-pen-ko.

* Listening to a local radio station on my drive to work this morning, there was an equipment malfunction during the traffic report, and the reporter's voice changed. Suddenly it sounded like we were getting a traffic report from the Dark One himself.

* I don't care about boxing at all, but I did hear part of Lennox Lewis's retirement press conference on the radio this morning. Let me tell you, I would love to have a British accent like his. He just sounds so cool.

* Believe it or not, it's almost time for baseball to start gearing up again. Spring training starts in a little over a week. I'm already marking my calendar with the dates that tickets go on sale so I can see the Reds play in person a time or two this year--including, hopefully, my first visit to Jacobs Field in Cleveland.

* Reds shortstop Barry Larkin has announced that he will retire after this season. Larkin has been my favorite player for a long time, and he's played his entire 19-year career with Cincinnati. You just don't see that anymore. We'll miss you, Barry.

No comments: