Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Notes, Quotes, and Billy Goats

Just some random items on my mind this morning:

* First and foremost, the title of this post is something that I read in a newspaper a long time ago. I think it was probably the Dayton Daily News. I can't remember who the columnist was who always used it to introduce his notes section. At any rate, I just want to make it known that I appropriated it for my own usage, because I think it's funny. I'll change it up from time to time, if I do quick-hitters like this often, which I probably will.

* I heard yesterday a perfect comment to sum up my comments about Janet Jackson's breast being (gasp!) exposed on network television, courtesty of ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption," featuring Washington Post columnists Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon. Both agreed that it was no big deal, and Tony said sarcastically, "But Mike, what will we tell the kids?" Mike responded (I'm paraphrasing here, but it's close), "Here's what I'd be happy to tell any kid: 'Kid, that was a breast. If you're really cool, by the time you're 17, 18, 19 years old, maybe you'll see some more.'"

* Let's all give a nice warm welcome to February. I stopped to put gas in my car this morning on my way to work, and it actually wasn't excruciating to be outside for once. I checked when I got to work, and the temperature was reported as being 39°F. It's amazing how downright balmy that seems after several weeks with highs in the teens and a lot of wind and snow.

* Speaking of gasoline, what's up with the recent trend of prices going up in the middle of the week? I thought it was supposed to be higher toward the weekends, and drop through the week. Lately it seems to be working the other way around, at least somewhat.

* I wore all black yesterday to mourn the passing of the football season. To help soothe the pain of my loss, I purchased an authentic BGSU Falcons football helmet from eBay. I've been wanting one for quite some time. Eventually I hope to have a jersey to go with it. Man, I love football. BG's spring game is on April 10, and I'm already looking forward to it. In the meantime, I'll be filling the void with Falcon hoops, which I love just as much (and maybe more).

* I was watching a college basketball game on television last night. It was Miami at Ohio--those are both MAC teams, for anyone who may be inclined to confuse them with Miami (FL) and/or Ohio State--on Fox Sports Ohio. With OU leading by 3 and only a few seconds left IN OVERTIME, they cut away from the game to show a pregame show for the Columbus Blue Jackets. That's NHL hockey, by the way. Would it have killed Fox Sports Ohio to show the last couple seconds of a great overtime rivalry game? If that's an automated switch, I would think they could at least have someone review it before it happens. OU did manage to hold on for the three-point victory, but it was certainly still in doubt when the coverage switched.

No comments: