Monday, March 15, 2004

Beware the Ides of March

Let's just say that if I could have mapped out the perfect day to come back from a long weekend, it would have gone almost nothing like today has gone so far. I'm feeling a bit irritated.

Let me start by saying that I had every intention of my first blog after my hiatus being just a basic rundown of the weekend. I may get to that at some point today, or I may not. I was actually in the process of writing that blog, and was indeed about halfway finished with it when I stupidly decided to try to save a draft of it. See, it was getting close to lunchtime and I didn't know if I'd be able to write anymore, so I tried to set it up so I could close the window and come back to it later. Silly me. Our lovely dial-up connection (shared among eight of us here in the office) chose a moment in that general time span to have a little hiccup, and I was left with "This page cannot be displayed." My entry was lost, and I was too busy trying to keep myself from banging on everything in sight with a hammer to even bother trying to re-create it. I still am, as a matter of fact. It may never happen. In case it doesn't, let me just say that I had a great weekend, except for the Falcons losing in the MAC Basketball Tournament.

Anyway, today I'm back at work after a long weekend, having taken last Thursday and Friday as vacation days so I could follow the Falcons to said tournament. I've got a lot of stuff to get through today, which is understandable. I'm filling two positions here, so it would be absurd for me to expect two days off without returning to a large mound of stuff on my desk to work through, even given how un-busy we've been lately. I don't mind having all this stuff to go through. In fact, I like it. I like being busy. I don't think I'll ever go so far as to say I like my job here, but I like it much better when I'm being productive. What I do mind is one of my co-workers immediately starting to badger me about one certain relatively minor thing when I've got all this other stuff to do. I'll be working to get everything done as soon as possible, but my number one priority is getting these projects put into the system and out into the shop so the guys out there have some work to do and so we can get this stuff on its way to being shipped. Some (well, at least one) of my fellow office workers have an overinflated view of their own importance.

Anyway, the same Internet hiccup that caused the loss of my blog entry also put a stop to pretty much all Internet activity for the remainder of the morning. That wasn't a long enough period of time (about an hour) to be a severe problem, but it was just one more irritating thing to add to a list that was growing even then.

Then there's lunchtime. Lunch is supposed to be a happy time, right? A chance to get out of the office for a bit and relax, and a Monday bonus is that it's a Wendy's day. Of course, Wendy's is having some inexplicable construction work done to its parking lot, which is small to begin with. Now their small parking lot has several spaces closed for construction, and the rest of the spaces taken up with construction equipment. Also, Wendy's happens to be busy. I ended up parking at the IHOP next door. I hate doing that, but sometimes you have to break the rules.

So I finally get into Wendy's to discover that the people in line have no idea how to form a line. Wendy's has railings set up so that the line will wind, but every so often people will just line up out the side of it. Well, if the line gets larger than, say, three people, this starts to unnecessarily crowd the lobby. I always go where the line is supposed to go, which results in mass chaos, because everyone else gets confused. Really, people, this is getting in line. It's one of the most basic things in our society. Please don't continue to screw this up. This is why people from other countries think we're dumb...it's because WE ARE!!!

Oh well. At least I've had a better day than Julius Caesar did on March 15.

No comments: