Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Notes, Quotes, and Billy Goats

Since I'm going to at least mention baseball today, I thought it appropriate to revert to my original title for an entry of quick-hitters, since it originally came from a newspaper's sports page.

* I was extremely out of it this morning. I'm not a morning person, as I'm sure I've mentioned before, but this morning I hit new highs of confusion and befuddlement upon waking. It was so bad that I managed to misread both my alarm clock and my watch, and hurried through my shower thinking I had overslept by quite a bit. Instead, I had somehow managed to get up before I normally do, which allowed me to leave my apartment at 7:30 and actually arrive at work on time for a change.

* I accidentally went to McDonald's for lunch today. I found there the same oblivious lady with the same obnoxious, shrieking children (see this post for more details). I don't think I'll go to McDonald's on my lunch break anymore. The food isn't that good there anyway.

* The book I'm currently reading on my lunch break is Pat Conroy's Beach Music, which was recommended to me by Brandi's stepmom. I like it so far, but I'm having a few issues. The prose is outstanding, but the dialogue is grating. That's something I can speak to, being a fiction writer myself, because it's one thing I excel at. I have an ear for how people speak, and so far, Conroy's characters don't ring true. I won't have a total feel for it until I finish the book, though, so it's possible that I'll revisit this at a later date.

* 12 Reasons Gay Marriage will Ruin Society

* The Yankees and Devil Rays played another game in Tokyo this morning at 5:00. This one was not televised on ESPN. Their two-game series is now over, and both teams will return to the United States to resume spring training. Yes, that's right. Now that they've played two official games, they now resume their preseason. Please, someone tell me where the logic is in any of this.

* Twice now I've caught a little bit of "The Herd" (hosted by Colin Cowherd) on ESPN Radio, the show which replaced "The Tony Kornheiser Show." It seems okay. I'll give it a chance for a while, but honestly, I don't know if I'll keep listening for long. It seems so far like it's going to be just another guy talking about the same stuff that all the other media types are talking about.

* I've been reading and hearing (and paying attention) more lately about Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry, and I'm liking what I see/hear. My opinion of him has gone up, from "I'm voting against Bush" to "I'm voting for Kerry." I even requested a bumper sticker that I may actually put on my car. Even if I don't do that, I'll definitely display it prominently somewhere.

No comments: