Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Notes, Quotes, and Quaker Oats

As I mentioned yesterday, I won't be at work on Thursday or Friday of this week, as I'll be in Cleveland for the MAC Men's Basketball Tournament. As such, I likely won't have access to the Internet, and therefore this will be the last update to my blog until Monday. Hopefully my Constant Readers (both of you) won't suffer from too many withdrawal symptoms in that time. Look on the bright side: when I do come back on Monday, I'll have four days worth of experiences to share with you.

To hold you over until then, I've got a handful of items to tell you about.

* Since I won't be working the rest of the week, today is like Friday for me. Therefore, I decided it was entirely appropriate to assume my lunch routine for Friday. So I went to Wendy's and got the Classic Single combo, with mustard, pickle, and onion. Damn, that's a good sandwich.

* Next to Wendy's, a car wash had a message on their marquee wishing good luck to the "Lady Dogs." I don't know offhand which high school that's for, but I'd be willing to bet nonetheless that some members of the student body think of their girls' sports teams as the "Bitches."

* Working with an Excel spreadsheet for a project here at work was a little frustrating yesterday. I was trying to find a formula that would return the minimum value in a range of cells, but I wanted to exclude values of zero. After a lot of searching (and some non-helpful assistance from my engineering department) I finally found a formula that worked. However, you couldn't just type in the formula and hit Enter. Oh no, for this particular formula, you had to type it in and then hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter. I can't fathom why that is. Someone at Microsoft had to think that was a good idea. And you wonder why Windows is so unstable. Obviously Microsoft engineers have lost all grip on reality.

* There's been a lot of talk lately that the NHL players will be going on strike after this season, and that the league may not have a season next year and possibly beyond. My only question is: will anyone notice? I'm a pretty big sports fan, but I don't know anyone who's into professional hockey.

* Ah yes, more complaining about "the wife" from a certain oh-so-pleasant co-worker. If someone can please explain why he chooses to tell me about his problems, I'd love to hear it. If I've ever given any indication of interest, it was by accident.

* Speaking of work, I've actually been kept fairly busy here lately. This is a good thing. I like being here so much better when I have something productive to do.

* I've gotten no e-mail today, not even spam. This makes me feel almost as though I've ceased to exist.

No comments: