Monday, March 08, 2004

Weekend Wrap

A few notes about the weekend that was, and then some.

  • I'm disappointed to note that my high school alma mater, the Troy Trojans basketball team lost in the state tournament yesterday, ending their season. I think their final record was 21-2. They lost on a neutral court by one point to a team they beat by 20 points on THEIR court during the regular season. I thought this team had a chance to go far into the tournament, and maybe even win the whole thing. It kills me that we lost to someone in our own conference. I never got to see them play this year, and I wish I would have. Senior center Matt Terwilliger is taking his considerable skills to Columbus to play hoops for Ohio State next season. Junior guards Michael Hall and Shane Carter are back for the Trojans next season.

  • On a brighter note, the Troy High School bowling team competed in the state tournament this weekend. They didn't win, but came in second. For a team in its first year of existence, that's an incredible performance. Having participated in Troy's youth bowling program myself when I was younger, I can speak to the quality of the program. Hopefully this team can keep up their success for years to come.

  • The Bowling Green Falcons get March Madness started in earnest this evening, in the first round of the MAC Tournament. We're back at Anderson, against the Ohio Bobcats. The Falcons are coming into this one on a bit of a skid, having lost three in a row. I'm hoping they can buck the trend tonight and beat the Bobcats, who happen to be not very good. We've already beaten them at our place once this year. If we can get to the Gund, anything can happen. I say that, but I'm not quite sure I believe it. BG has some talent on the roster, but they just haven't been able to put it together this year, and I have to question why I would expect that to change at this late date. Trust me, I bleed for the Falcon hoopsters maybe more than any other sports team I follow, and I'm not counting them out until the buzzer sounds on our last game, but I'm not exactly expecting much of a tournament run. I would love to be pleasantly surprised, though. I feel pretty good about our chances of beating Ohio and moving on to Cleveland, but beyond that, I just don't know.

  • Finally, let me just mention briefly one of my biggest pet peeves about my job. I hate it when someone, generally from my engineering department, asks me to call a company because they need information about a product. This drives me absolutely crazy, and has been known to ruin entire mornings (not that mornings are generally that great anyway, since I'm most definitely not a morning person). I'm not an engineer, and it usually turns out that I don't have enough information to get the information they need. Inevitably, whoever I talk to at said company will ask me questions that I don't have answers for, and then I feel like a moron because I have to tell them I'll call back. Everyone who works here in the office has a phone on their desk. I do not have the slightest clue why these people don't call the companies themselves when they need information. It would make everyone's lives a lot easier.
  • No comments: