Friday, April 16, 2004

Equal Time

There was a time, not all that long ago, when I absolutely hated my job. I dreaded coming in each day, and the mere thought of it made me miserable. That was right after I took over the purchasing duties. Nothing in my background prepared me for this job, and I received a grand total of two hours of training from someone who didn't know what he was doing in the first place. I was thrown directly into the fire, and I came to work each day feeling utterly unprepared. I didn't like that at all.

Now I've been in this position for a full year and a half. There are still occasions when something arises that I haven't dealt with before, but for the most part I've got a pretty good handle on everything. I no longer despise my job. I'm generally pretty indifferent. I don't like it that much, but I can deal with it. It helps me pay the bills, and that's the important part.

There are quite a few things about this job that bother me, and I complain about them a fair amount, both in this blog and in "real life." With that in mind, and in the interests of equal time, today I'm going to say something nice.

Occasionally there are days when I actively like this job. Granted, I would never choose it over sitting on the couch in front of my PlayStation, or watching Falcon football, but on these days I can at least get some mild enjoyment out of being here and doing what I do. Today was one of those days.

We haven't been very busy here lately, and today was no exception. Busy days are better, because the time goes faster. Today was most assuredly not busy, but there have been some things I've had to take care of. There were a variety of things, and that made it nice. I wasn't sitting here doing the same thing all day long. Beyond that, I still feel like I'm out of my element sometimes. When I can get through a number of things and get them all cleared up, I feel really good about myself. I'm overcoming my own lack of experience, and I enjoy being able to do that.

While I'm on the topic, another thing I like about this job (sometimes) is meeting with salespeople. I don't like this every time, and I really get irritated when someone just drops by and wants to try to sell me something. However, with established vendors, there are a couple of representatives I really like. I enjoy when these people stop in and chat for a few minutes. Of course, there are also some established vendors with reps that I actively don't like, but I try to avoid them when I can.

No comments: