Thursday, April 29, 2004

State of the Blog Address

I started this blog on January 28, three months ago yesterday. That's a fairly significant portion of time, at least for my own generally limited attention span. As such, I thought this was as good a time as any to talk a little bit about the blog itself, what I've done with it so far and where I plan to go with it from here.

Don't worry; I'm not going to do this every three months or anything.

I was a little apprehensive about starting a blog. I've had personal webpages before, and after the fun wears off (usually as soon as they're functional), I generally forget about them and never update them again. I didn't want to start this if I wasn't going to follow through with it. The problem was that I had no way of knowing in advance if this was something I would keep doing or not. I thought it would be, but I feel that way every time I start a personal project. Sometimes it works; most often it doesn't.

Obviously, I eventually decided to go ahead with it. I love to write, and I had plenty of stuff on my mind that I thought would make fine subject material for several entries at least. I still wasn't sure if it was something I would keep up with or not, but I figured even if I didn't post often, it would be here when I needed or wanted it.

It was never my intention to make sure I wrote something in here each day (at least through the week). That's just something that happened. Each day that I've been at work, from January 28 until now, I've put at least something in here. I'm proud of that. I love the fact that I've found something each day that was worth commenting on, or at least making note of. Still, I'm not keeping that as a hard and fast rule. If eventually there comes a day when I have nothing to say, so be it. At this point, though, it's become almost a point of pride to write every day, so hopefully it will continue.

I've checked out many blogs written by other people, and I've seen that many of them have a theme. Not this one. I've thought about it, but what's the point? I have too many interests (call them "obsessions" if you will; I prefer "passions") to write about just one. After all, I'm doing this mostly for my own amusement. A lot of the time, it's about sports. Sometimes it's a "How I Spent My Summer Vacation" type thing. There are a few rants sprinkled in, or simple observations and memories. Occasionally I just post a link to something I've read. There's more where all of this came from, believe me. Some days I write more or less than others, and that's fine. I just play it by ear.

I have to say, I'm having a blast with this. I love just logging on and writing about whatever strikes my fancy, or being able to post a link and write my thoughts about something I've seen online. Often I've discovered that I have more to say on certain subjects than I thought I did. I can't see how that would be a bad thing.

There are still some things I want to do or try with this blog that I haven't done yet, or at least haven't done very much. There will be some reviews forthcoming, of books, movies, music, etc. I may do some running journals, while I watch movies or sports (I have a feeling these entries may turn into a one-man version of Mystery Science Theater 3000, which will be fun). Who knows? I may even throw in some fictional vignettes (I write a killer character sketch) or lame poetry. The possibilities are endless.

In terms of functionality, I'll continue to tweak the template. I chose this Blogger template originally just because I liked the color scheme (BGSU Falcons fo' life!), and I've made a few minor cosmetic changes to it. Those changes will continue as options present themselves and as I learn more about the coding, just so I can get to a point where my blog is no longer totally based on a cookie-cutter template which makes it look exactly like so many others.

I'm planning on making at least one expansion as well. Sometime in the hopefully not-too-distant future, look for the "What I'm Reading Now" area to be replaced with a link to a separate "Jon's Reading Page" or something like that. This future page, as I'm picturing it, will continue to show what books I'm working my way through at that particular moment. I also want to keep a log of books I've read in a particular year, just to satisfy my own curiosity. This page will also feature a list of reading recommendations--books I've read that I really enjoyed and think other people would like as well. Once I get this reading page up and running, I may do something similar for movies.

So, for anyone who reads on a regular basis, thanks for stopping by. Pass on the link if you enjoy it--I do this for myself, but every writer wants an audience, and I would love for this page to be more widely visited. Look for things to keep getting better, and as always, if you have any comments or questions, please post them or send me an e-mail--links are at the bottom of each post.

No comments: