Monday, May 17, 2004

Exploration and Discovery

Let me start this entry by saying, "Damn it!" I'd really like to go to another Mud Hens game sometime in the near future. Unfortunately for me, according to the Weather Channel online, it's supposed to rain every day from now until the end of my life. Except Wednesday. On Wednesday, of course, the Mud Hens play at 10:30 in the morning. At 10:30 on Wednesday, yours truly will be exactly where he is right now: at work.

Moving on....

Today was a Wendy's day on my lunch schedule. However, I didn't feel like going to the Wendy's I normally go to. I go there a lot (generally twice a week), so almost everyone who works there knows me. While this definitely has its perks, today I felt like being left alone, so I went to the "other" Wendy's. This turned out to be a good decision.

Before you get your hopes too far up, I should mention that it was a good decision for extremely minor reasons. If you're looking for a good story, filled with action and adventure, I don't want to waste your time. This isn't it. Still, it made me happy, and since I use this space for bitching more often than not, I thought I'd share something that brightened my day, even a little bit.

To start off, just getting to this Wendy's is easier. Both locations are about the same distance away. I think this one is technically just a little further away, but I end up getting there faster just because of traffic differences. The one I went to today is located in a small town; it isn't right off a fairly major interstate (as the other one is), and there aren't as many traffic lights in between. This means less driving time, which means more eating time (I'm a slow eater) and more reading time. These are good things.

I noticed when I went inside Wendy's that this location has a sticker on their door indicating that they accept various credit cards. One of my few remaining reasons for ever carrying cash is beginning to slip away, and for that I am grateful.

When I got inside, ordered, and went to pay, I noticed another thing: my meal (single combo) was slightly cheaper than normal. After thinking about this for a surprisingly brief period of time, I came upon the answer. The Wendy's I visited today is in a different county (Fulton) than the one I normally visit (Lucas), and the sales tax rate is therefore slightly lower. The difference is small enough to be inconsequential for just one visit, but it all adds up.

Then, of course, there was my initial reason for choosing this Wendy's today in the first place. Once I ordered my meal, I was able to sit down and eat and read in peace. At the Wendy's I normally visit, the dining room attendant always stops for a chat, and occasionally one of the other employees will join me to talk for a minute or two. They're nice people and I generally like this, but today I just wasn't in the mood. It was nice to be left alone.

Of course, it just wouldn't be me if I finished off an entry on an entirely positive note, so let me also note my one pet peeve about Wendy's. When are they going to join the rest of the fast food restaurants in putting their drink fountain in the dining room and letting the patrons get their own drinks (and, most importantly, refills)? Having to stand in line just for a refill is a real pain. Sometimes they see you standing there and take care of you quickly, but sometimes you just have to wait it out. I'm sure that discourages a lot of people, and that's probably why they do it. After all, fewer refills = higher profit margin. And I don't get refills every day, just because I really don't need all those extra empty calories. Some days I really need one, though, and it seems like those are the days that Wendy's is extra busy.

No comments: