Friday, May 21, 2004

It's Getting Hot Out There, So Take Off All Your Clothes

It isn't even June yet, but it's already starting to feel like summer.

Ohio is like that a lot of the time, though. Spring and fall here can be pretty short, at least in terms of mild temperatures. Generally they're just quick fades from summer to winter and vice versa. It's not all bad, though: by the time the Ohio winter is over, we're ready for it to warm up quickly so the possibility of more snow can fade and die.

One thing that's pretty consistent about springtime here is the chance of rain. If you look at a ten-day forecast for this area, you'll see that there's a chance of rain just about every day, usually in the evenings. It doesn't always happen, of course, but there's usually at least a chance. Even on nights when it doesn't actually rain, it's fairly common to see a flash of lightning or two, especially when the humidity is high.

That's how yesterday was. It didn't rain, but it was hot and muggy. I decided to take advantage of the lack of precipitation, so I went for a run. I went out around 11:00 p.m.--according to The Weather Channel, it was still 78° with 82% humidity at that time.

I actually like running when it's like this. I love working up a good sweat, and that I certainly did. Since the season is still young, I haven't been running much yet, so I'm still working on building up my wind and my legs. Since it was so hot last night, I didn't expect much from myself. I did a lot better than I thought I would, though, so I feel pretty good about that. If I had to guess, I'd say I did somewhere between a mile and a mile and a half. My legs feel pretty good today. I can definitely tell that I worked them last night, but I'm not sore.

Of course, I also did laundry last night. I thought it would be a great idea to put a load of clothes in the dryer and then go out for my run. What I failed to consider was the distinct discomfort that would be caused to my already overheated body (even a quick shower didn't cool me off too much) by entering a warm laundry room and dealing with a pile of hot clothes fresh out of the dryer. Yikes.

Exacerbating the situation is the fact that my landlords haven't yet seen fit to enable our building's air conditioning units. That being the case, the climate inside my apartment wasn't too much different from that outside. I do have a fan that was at least providing a nice breeze, but it would have been lovely to step into some air conditioned comfort.

No comments: