Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Lunchtime Blues

Normally, Tuesday is a Subway day for me. Unfortunately, Thursday is also a Subway day. Only Wendy's has the power to keep me interested when I eat there twice a week, so I've been on a bit of Subway burnout lately. I didn't go there at all last week, and didn't really feel like eating there today. So, I decided to try something new.

Today for lunch I ate at a place called Magic Wok. I like Chinese food. That hasn't always been the case--I used to avoid it like the plague. It grew on me over time, though, and now I like it quite a bit. Surprisingly, this was my first time eating at Magic Wok, even though it's not a new restaurant and I drive by it almost every day on my lunch break.

Sadly, the food wasn't that good. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't nearly what I had hoped for. I can see myself going in there again, but I won't be making it a regular stop.

In general, lunchtime just isn't what it used to be. I find myself missing Tony Kornheiser's show on ESPN Radio more and more each day. I do listen to Colin Cowherd, the guy who took over Tony's time slot, and he's grown on me a little bit. I find him mildly amusing, but that's as far as it goes.

Despite the fact that it was on ESPN Radio, Tony's show wasn't always about sports. Maybe that's why he's gone, but that's one of the reasons I liked it. Tony's a lot like me: an intellectual kind of guy who has plenty of interests outside of sports. He'd talk about a little bit of everything, and that was great. It challenged and informed me. There were plenty of times when I got back from my lunch break and wrote in this very blog about something Tony was talking about, be it sports or otherwise.

Cowherd will occasionally talk about topics other than sports, but when he does so the conversation tends to degenerate into a discussion of attractive women or one of the show's producers talking in his trucker voice. That's about it. It's mildly entertaining, but it doesn't exactly require all my brain cells.

Make no mistake, Tony could also be banal at times, but even when he was, he was still intelligent. That appeals to me a lot. Sophomoric humor is readily available pretty much anywhere; intelligence is a lot harder to find, especially on a sports channel. It seems to me that Cowherd's show is just like every other sports talk show.

I'm still hoping that Tony will end up on the radio again someday. It won't be ESPN Radio, but hopefully it'll be syndicated with a Toledo affiliate so I can hear it. I need something to entertain AND enlighten me on my lunch break each day.

Come back to the radio, Tony! Do it for the kids! (We need Old Guy Radio!)

No comments: