Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Notes, Quotes, and Sporks

Nope, it doesn't rhyme. It's a fun word, though, and I rarely get to use it. Also, it's random, so it fits right in with the spirit of this entry. Spork spork spork.

  • Brandi is ending her extended weekend today, leaving BG and heading back to Stow. She's finally starting to feel better, so she's going back to work today. It was awesome to have her stay for a couple extra days, it just sucks that she had to get sick in order to do it.

  • Of course, one thing Brandi and I do very well is share. Brandi has decided to share her illness with me. Isn't that lovely? It hasn't hit me nearly as hard as it did her, though. At least not yet. I've just got a bit of a stuffy nose and a sore throat. Generally, colds don't bring me down too much.

  • Brandi will be in the area again this time next week, having her wisdom teeth removed. Ouch!

  • Today on my lunch break I finally finished Beach Music by Pat Conroy. I liked it a great deal, although I also have quite a bit of criticism for it. I'll post an in-depth review maybe tomorrow, after I've had some time to think about it and let it all sink in.

    Finishing the book means I need to pick out a new book to read on my lunch hour. I'll probably go with Schoolboy Trojans by Vernon Vaughn Knuckles Jr., which is a book about my hometown of Troy, Ohio (and the high school football team) in the 50s. I think I can get through that one pretty quickly, and then I'll probably move on to The Godfather by Mario Puzo or The Winds of War by Herman Wouk.

  • The weather outside is awesome today. I wish the Mud Hens were in town. I need to get to a game soon.

  • I'm on the "John Kerry for President" e-mail list, and I just got an e-mail written by former U.S. President Bill Clinton. I have enormous respect for Mr. Clinton, but I wish they had chosen a different photograph to include than the one that Conan O'Brien uses for his bit where he "talks" with different individuals (Clinton, Bob Dole, Kathy Lee Gifford, etc.) by superimposing video of someone else's mouth onto a headshot photograph. It's just hard to take that photograph seriously when it's been the source of so much Conan hilarity.

  • Before leaving work yesterday, I talked to our head engineer about the stability of our jobs. He said he feels pretty secure, and that the staff really can't be cut any further than it already is. That goes for shop staff as well as office staff. I just wonder if he knows that so many of the guys out in the shop aren't planning on sticking around much longer, and how much his opinion would change if he did.
  • No comments: