Monday, May 24, 2004

Weekend Review

Have I mentioned that Ohio's springtime weather is inconsistent? Rarely has that been more true than it was this weekend. Sometimes it was sunny, sometimes it was stormy. I can't really complain too much, because it provided me with an early start to the weekend.

While I was on my lunch break on Friday afternoon, the weather was perfect. I was driving around with my window rolled down and my arm sticking out. After I got back, the clouds started rolling in. It kept getting darker and darker, until it seriously looked like nighttime, at around 2:15 p.m. We all abandoned our desks at that point and gathered in the lobby to watch the approaching storm. Trees were being whipped around in the wind, and our sign was swaying noticeably. We saw some pretty brilliant flashes of lightning. The rain was coming down in sheets, creating a river in our parking lot, and there was even a little bit of hail. Shortly after 2:30, we lost electricity at our facility. We stayed in the lobby for a while after that, continuing to watch the storm (I like storms, so this was pretty cool for me). After the storm passed and the electricity had still not returned, our company president let everyone go around 3:20.

It was pretty close to 4:00 by the time I got home, and Brandi was already there. We took advantage of my early arrival by napping. We were planning to sleep for a bit and then get up and do something, but it didn't work out that way. Sleeping was far too comfy, and we ended up staying in bed until 10:00 that night. We got up then and ordered pizza and watched a movie, then went back to bed around 2:00.

We didn't have any specific plans for the weekend, so we got to sleep in on Saturday. It wouldn't seem like we would need it, after how much we slept on Friday evening, but apparently we did. We got up shortly before noon. Brandi went to work out while I stayed home and played video games.

We just hung out for a while after she got back, eating leftover pizza and watching TV. Actually, we got a little goofy for a while and started chasing each other around the apartment. That was fun.

That evening we got together for dinner with our friends Cricket and Adam. Cricket graduated with her Master's degree a couple of weeks ago, so we bought them dinner as a graduation present. We went to Cucina di Betto in downtown Bowling Green, which was excellent, as usual.

Adam had tickets to a Mud Hens game that evening, but the weather situation was uncertain. We decided to skip it. It never did rain, at least not where we were, but you never know. It was supposed to rain, and it looked like it would, so we decided to do something else instead. We went to see Shrek 2, which was highly entertaining. We wanted to see it at some point during the weekend anyway, so this worked out for all of us.

We headed home after that. Saturday Night Live was showing "The Best of Christopher Walken." I love Chris Walken, so I was pretty happy about this. Brandi was somewhat less enthralled than I was, and ended up going to bed shortly before it ended. I joined her when it was over.

We slept in again on Sunday, not getting up until shortly after noon. We eventually headed out for lunch at Easystreet Cafe, which is another of our favorite places to eat in BG. It was pretty hot in my apartment, and my landlords haven't yet seen fit to enable our air conditioning, so we decided to stay out for a while and hit some places where it would be cool.

After Easystreet, we went to the Wood County Humane Society to visit some cats, as we do occasionally. Since we can't have pets of our own, this is our next best option. However, making a visit on this particular day turned out to be something of a mistake. Also visiting at this particular time was a fair number of undisciplined children running amok, and the cats were pissed. Most of them wanted only to be left alone, which made it not much fun for us. We didn't stay very long. We also visited the dogs while we were there, but you're not really allowed to pet them, so it wasn't much fun.

After the humane society, we went across the street to walk around the BG mall for a bit. The BG mall is really close to becoming a waste of time. If ever Waldenbooks decides to leave, that'll be it. We weren't there for very long. We went from there to the grocery, where we picked up a few things to snack on that evening. After that, we finally admitted defeat and headed home.

I parked myself on the couch when we got home and ended up napping for a while. Brandi woke me up a while later when it looked like a pretty vicious storm was on the way. It fizzled out as it approached BG, though. I think it may have rained a little, but that's it. We just hung out and watched TV for most of the rest of the evening. We did read in bed for a little bit before turning in.

Now it's Monday, and I'm back at work. I was hoping the power would still be off when I got here, but no such luck. Looks like I'm going to have to spend a full day at work after all. Oh well, at least I've got an upcoming long weekend to look forward to.

No comments: