Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Another New Addition (Plus Assorted Ramblings)

With no further ado, I'd like to announce the newest addition to my blog, The Yawp's Links Page. You can find it permanently linked over on the right. It's a pretty straightforward page of links to pages that I like or find useful, or pages for things that I like. Feel free to explore. As with most of my pages, I'm still tweaking it a little bit--I'm trying to liven it up with some useless but hopefully amusing info.

Right now I'm sitting on my living room floor, watching the Reds game on television (they're losing 7-4 in the 9th) while writing this with my laptop. It's really hot--it feels like the flesh on top of my legs is about to boil away. Not good times. Also, my laptop sucks. It's about four years old now, and it's seen some hard use. Also, it's running Windows ME. Need I say more? I'd really like to get a new one, but that's not in the cards for the foreseeable future. As long as I can coax this one into working on the rare occasions when I actually feel like doing some work away from my desk, I think I'll be okay.

I'm thinking about switching over to a wireless network soon. I currently have two desktop computers (one of which is being used essentially as a file server) and this laptop. Once Brandi moves in, that will add another laptop to the equation. Going wireless would let us set up a nice little network without stringing cable all over the place. It would also make our laptops more useful, as we could use them wherever we wanted without having to worry about how long the cables are. She and I are moving into a new apartment in about a month and a half, and that seems like the perfect time to make the switch. I'm not saying I'll definitely do it, but it does make sense.

It's pretty warm in my apartment right now. The air conditioning hasn't been working since sometime this weekend. It hasn't mattered that much since the weather has been so nice, but it's definitely a little toasty right now. Of course, having my laptop act as a space heater certainly isn't helping anything. I need to call my landlords tomorrow anyway, to get a key for Brandi for the rest of the summer, so I'll let them know about it then. I know the girl who lives downstairs told them about it this weekend, but apparently they decided not to do anything about it.

The game is over now, and the Reds have lost 9-5 to the Mets. They also announced that right fielder Austin Kearns needs surgery on his injured thumb and will be out for 4-6 weeks. That's bad news for the Reds, but hopefully Wily Mo Peña will be placed out there regularly to give him a chance to show what he can do. He's shown a lot of improvement already this year--there's no doubt the kid can hit. If he can realize his potential, it'll be a great situation for the Reds.

No comments: