Thursday, June 03, 2004

The First Unveiling

It gives me great pleasure to announce the addition of a new page to the Barbaric Yawp family. The Yawp's Reading Page is now a permanent fixture on the "Links" section of the sidebar, on the right side of the page. It's still under some light construction, but it's in working order, so there it is for your enjoyment.

It took a lot of experimentation and work to get it up and running. I wanted it to look like this page, which meant taking the basic code for the Blogger template and modifying it for use with a regular page. The code wasn't meant to be used that way, so it presented some difficulties. I'm still cleaning out stuff that isn't used, but I got it to a point where it's functional, and that's all I wanted before I put it out there for the world to see.

Despite the difficulties, I enjoyed doing it. I've written web pages before, and it's something I like doing. I'm not so knowledgeable about it that I could have created the same page from scratch, but I can get in there and poke around and make changes to a base that someone else created. It's fun, and it's always satisfying to me when I accomplish something that I have no formal training in.

I managed to entertain myself in other ways while I was working on it, as well. I started working on it on Tuesday evening, working on my laptop while I watched the Reds game on television. Last night I moved over to my desktop computer, and put my DVD drive to good use--I popped in The Phantom Menace and sized it down to a small portion of the screen while I used the rest for my work. Yeah, I'm a dork. I'm okay with that.

There will be more pages to come, as I get around to creating them. At the very least, I want to do a DVD/movie page, a page of links, and maybe some others. I doubt they'll all have the same format, just because this layout may not be feasible for all of them. I'll try to keep it the same, though, just because I think consistency is highly desirable in a website. When all the pages look different, it seems unprofessional to me. I know these pages aren't professional, on several levels, but I do like them to look nice.

Anyway, check out the new page. I hope you enjoy it. As always, feel free to let me know what you think, either by posting comments on the blog or by sending me e-mail.

No comments: