Monday, June 14, 2004

I Petted a Goat (The Weekend in Review)

My calendar tells me that today is Flag Day, so Happy Flag Day everyone! I don't know what Flag Day is for, exactly. All I know is that I had to come to work this morning, so it's not a real holiday. Are the banks and post offices open today? Probably not; they close for everything else.
The weekend was a good one, although not long enough, as usual. I need a bona fide vacation, but it'll be a while before that happens. I only get one week per year (until I've been here five years, at which time I'm upgraded to two weeks per year), and I always use those for days off here and there. The grind is just wearing on me. I'll be the first to acknowledge that my job isn't tough right now, with virtually nothing to do while I'm here besides writing in my blog and otherwise surfing the Internet, but just having to come here and go through the same stupid routine every day is driving me crazy. I hate structure, especially when it's for no apparent purpose. I would actually feel better if I had work to do; at least I would feel justified in coming here each day.

All of that is beside the point, though.

I drove to Stow after work on Friday. Brandi and I went to BW3 in Kent for dinner, and to watch a little bit of the Reds-Indians game on TV. We hadn't been there for a while, so it was fun even though we each had just one drink. We headed back to her place as the game went into extra innings, and we listened to the rest of it on the radio. We were both pretty tired, so we played a game of Scrabble and then went to bed.

We slept in a little bit on Saturday, and then Brandi dragged me to the YMCA where she works so we could work out. I'm still feeling the effects of that. Running on the treadmill was fine, as I run all the time anyway, but I hadn't been on a weight machine in years. I didn't exactly kill myself while we were there, but my arms are still a little sore today nonetheless. How sad.

Back to her place after our workout for a shower, and then out to Subway for lunch. After Subway, we decided to go into a pet store located in the same plaza. For some unknown reason this pet store has a couple of goats. Brandi was afraid of them, but I petted one. He (or maybe it was a the hell would I know?) seemed to enjoy it. I also let a kitten nibble on my fingers while we were there. That was pretty cool.

After that we headed up to Cleveland for the Reds-Indians game. I had never been to a game at Jacobs Field, so I was really looking forward to it. It was fun, even though the game itself was highly irritating. The Reds led most of the way, but ended up blowing their lead and losing the game. Also, the service at the concession stands was terrible. That aside, we had a good time. We got Omar Vizquel/Dave Concepcion bobbleheads on our way in, and there was a really cool fireworks show after the game.

(We took quite a few pictures at the game. I may post some of them later, depending on how they turned out.)

We stopped at the grocery store on our way home, intending just to get a snack, and we ended up getting items for Brandi to make dinner on Sunday. By the time we got to the checkout counter, though, it was past midnight, which meant that we couldn't buy wine because it was technically Sunday. What a pain in the ass.

On Sunday we slept in again (Brandi got up a little before I did, but I was in bed until about 12:30), then got up and went to the library to use the Internet. I tried to post here, but was rebuffed by error messages. After the library we went back to the grocery (it was after 1:00 p.m., so we could now buy wine), and then back to her place. We just kind of hung out for a while, and Brandi ended up taking a nap while I played video games. I started off playing basketball, but then reacquainted myself with football and with Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, which is an insane amount of fun.

Brandi got up from her nap shortly thereafter and proceeded to make dinner. She made lemon pepper chicken, fried potatoes, corn on the cob, and Betty's salad, and it was all quite good.

After dinner we went outside to play catch with a Nerf football under the lightning. It was hard to see the ball because it was dark, but it was fun anyway. We stayed out until it started to rain, and then we went inside and watched A Bug's Life and ate strawberry shortcake.

Now I'm here, and I need a nap. So what else is new?

No comments: