Monday, June 07, 2004

Weekend Review

One thing right off the top: on Saturday, my landlords were doing quite a bit of work around the building I live in. Included in their chores was the activation of the air conditioning system, which makes my apartment oh so comfortable. How I would love to still be there right now, sleeping in my bed, totally covered in blankets except for one leg sticking out to enjoy the coolness. That's so much more desirable than being here, in my office, trying to keep myself awake for no apparent reason.

There are few things worse than coming to work on Monday morning. Convincing myself to get out of bed at 7:00 a.m. after a couple days of sleeping in is not an easy task. At least this weekend actually felt like it was long enough, for once.

Brandi got started from Stow a little later than planned, so I got to my apartment quite a while before she did. I had time to do some reading and catch a little catnap. She got there a little before 7:00, and we went to BW3 for dinner. Afterwards we just went back to my place and watched TV until it was time to leave for the movie.

We went to see Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, which was just released that day. I'm happy to say that it was quite good, despite the omission of a couple of seemingly major plot points. It's definitely the best of the Harry Potter films so far, in terms of just being a good movie. More liberties were taken with the text than has been done before, but that's to be expected as the books get longer and the movies have to stay approximately the same length. I'm a little curious to know why certain things were done the way they were, but I'm sure I'll learn more about it as time goes on. Maybe they just saved some things for the "Director's Cut" on DVD.

Brandi got up early on Saturday to go have her hair done. I slept until almost noon, and then played PlayStation and just goofed around until Brandi got home. She was pretty sleepy after getting up early, so we took a nap. I didn't sleep for very long, but Brandi slept into late afternoon.

When she got up, we drove down to Troy. My mom was ready to put dinner on the table as soon as we got there, which was awesome, as neither of us had really eaten anything so we were both pretty hungry. After dinner, at Brandi's request, Mom brought out a drawerful of photographs. We dug through those for the rest of the evening. Brandi wanted to see pictures of me as a little kid, and I think she got more than she bargained for.

Brandi and I slept almost until noon on Sunday, and Mom was waiting to feed us as soon as we got up. Normally, neither of us really wants food for quite a while after we wake up, but it seemed that both of us were ready that morning.

After eating and cleaning up, Brandi and I went over to the levee for the Troy Strawberry Festival. That was a pretty good time. Brandi got a little irritated by the sheer size of the crowd, but we managed to enjoy ourselves nonetheless. We ate corn on the cob, and a strawberry sundae; we made sand art; I bought Brandi a necklace, and she bought herself a keychain. Surprisingly, I didn't see anyone I knew, and only one person I even recognized. I guess I've been away from Troy for too long.

That evening we went over to our friends Amy and Doug's house. They made dinner for us, and then we hung out there for a while. They introduced us to a video game called Dance Revolution (or something like that), which uses big floor pads for controllers, which you stand upon and sort of dance as dictated by what's happening on the screen. It's a little cheesy, but it's a lot of fun. I think we're going to try to find it for PlayStation.

Anyway, we had a really good time there, and ended up leaving around 11:00 p.m. From there it was back to Bowling Green. We spent most of the car trip talking about the possibility of Brandi going to cosmetology school, which she really wants to do. She spent a little time when we got home researching possibilities for financial aid, and we went to bed shortly thereafter.

Of course, as is usual for a trip to my parents' house, I brought home a lot more than I took with me. Mom sent me back with a bunch of food, for which I'm highly grateful. I like dealing with food as little as possible, and now I don't have to worry about what I'm going to eat for probably two weeks. That's very nice.

Normally after a weekend like this, where I have a lot of different stuff to do and I'm in the car a lot, I don't feel like I've had a weekend at all. That's not the case this time, though. It was definitely a good weekend, and relaxing in the process. Of course, I'm tired now, but that's just because it's Monday.

Next weekend's highlight will be my first trip to Jacobs Field in Cleveland. I've got tickets for Brandi and I to go see the Reds play there against the Indians. I'm really looking forward to that.

No comments: