Tuesday, June 01, 2004

What Would Brian Boitano Do?

Early morning, the start of another week. Normally that's enough to put me in a foul mood, but today I'm doing okay. That's probably because I'm coming off a long weekend, with Monday already out of the way, and I've got just four workdays staring me in the face before another weekend.

Of course, my decent mood was nearly ruined when I was asked to perform a task which is almost wholly unrelated to company operations, a task which under other circumstances I would have refused, but that's a topic for another time.

Brandi and I got to my apartment at approximately the same time on Friday afternoon. We watched That '70s Show and then went for dinner (stuffed breadsticks) at Campus Pollyeyes, which is a pizza place close to the BGSU campus. When we got back to my apartment, the Reds were on TV. I sat down to watch them (and eventually fell asleep) while Brandi played The Sims.

Brandi woke me up in time to watch the last out of the Reds game (they won), and then we went to the grocery to get ice cream. We came back and ate ice cream while we watched TV, and then went to bed a short time later.

On Saturday we slept in, then got up and went to the Toledo Zoo. That almost didn't happen. When we got there, we were told the parking lot was full, and that we'd have to park several miles away and a shuttle would come pick us up. We were prepared to head back home, but we had to cruise through the parking lot to get out anyway, and it just so happened that we found one prime spot, so it actually turned out that we got to park for free.

The zoo was fun. We saw some animals...what else do you say about a trip to the zoo? I liked the snakes (the whole reptile house, really) the best, but that's only because there were no koala bears. Koalas crack me up. I could watch them all day. Unfortunately, the Toledo Zoo doesn't have them, or we missed them somehow.

We were at the zoo for over three hours, and all that walking made us a little tired. We took a nap when we got home. Then we went to BW3 for dinner and drinks. That was fun. We finished off the evening at Uptown, even though we didn't end up dancing. Of course, when we got back to my place, Brandi finished off the evening for real by throwing up several times. I, on the other hand, was fine.

Sunday started off as a lazy day. We slept in once again and took our time about getting started. Eventually we went to Wendy's for lunch. We came back and started watching Beetlejuice on DVD, but didn't even finish it before going in for a nap.

We ended up sleeping for quite a while. When we woke up, we headed up to Toledo for a party at our friend Adam's place. Adam and Cricket are moving to Texas at some point this summer, so he threw a Memorial Day bash. They had a little campfire, and Adam hired a local guitarist to come play, and it was really cool. I didn't know as many people there as I thought I would, but it was still fun. Cricket made a batch of Hairy Buffalo, and after a couple glasses of that, I was pleasantly buzzed. Brandi didn't feel like drinking after her escapades of Saturday night, so that worked out for both of us. We hung out for a while, and then Brandi drove us home.

When we got home, we discovered South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut being shown on Comedy Central. After a few moments, it became apparent that the movie was not edited for language, despite being shown on basic cable television. That made me extremely happy. We watched quite a bit of that before finally calling it a night.

Monday, Memorial Day, was another lazy day. We got up late once again and ate leftover stuffed breadsticks while we watched TV. Later that afternoon I watched part of the Reds game while Brandi watched some style shows on TLC (I have two TVs in my living room because, well, I'm a geek). Then we decided to get dressed and go to Olive Garden for dinner. It's one of our favorite places, and we hadn't been there for a while. Being Memorial Day, it wasn't too busy, which was nice.

On the way home from dinner, we stopped to rent The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King on DVD. It's something I'll own eventually, but I'm waiting for the extended four-disc edition that comes out in November. Anyway, we came home and watched that while eating dessert from Olive Garden, which we brought home with us. Watching the movie involved much goofiness, which was fun. When it was over, we went to bed.

Now I'm back at work. That sucks in and of itself, but as I said, there are only four days this week. There are plenty of things to look forward to on the horizon, beginning with lunch at Burger King in about ten minutes. Brandi and I are going to see Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban on Friday night, then heading down to my parents' house on Saturday. Next weekend we have tickets to go see the Reds play in Cleveland. It's enough to make even this crappy job seem more bearable.

No comments: