Friday, July 23, 2004

Friday Morning Blues

At least it's Friday, I'll give it that much. I get two days off after today, and sometime in the next two hours I'll be handed a paycheck. Oh, and I have a peanut butter cookie in my desk drawer. Other than these things, today doesn't have much going for it so far.

There is an open can of Mountain Dew sitting just to my right. This is the third morning in a row that I've felt compelled to start the day with a caffeinated beverage. I don't know what my problem is. I've been getting more sleep than usual lately, and for some reason it just makes it harder and harder for me to wake up in the mornings. I don't mean "wake up" in the actual physical sense of "stop being asleep," but in terms of feeling awake and alert and not in danger of falling back asleep at any given moment. I was in bed well before 1:00 a.m. last night, and that's been the norm this week. Usually I don't get to bed until 2:00 a.m. or later, and my morning issues aren't nearly as bad under those circumstances (but they do still exist--I'm not a morning person by any means). Apparently my body doesn't like functioning with more than five hours of sleep. Through the week, anyway--on a weekend, I can sleep like a champion and feel glorious upon waking. If weekend sleeping were an Olympic event, I feel confident that I could bring glory to my country.

Oh, but that's not all. As I left for work this morning, my car decided to resume its irritating habit of stalling each time I took my foot off the gas. This is really driving me crazy. I did manage to make it to work, but it makes me nervous to drive it here. I have to drive on some pretty busy streets to get here, and stalling in the wrong spot could prove to be a real headache. I managed to keep it running, though--I'm getting to be really good at braking with my left foot. I've been talking over my problems this morning with some car-minded co-workers, and we're all pretty much stumped over what the problem could be. I'll continue to monitor it for a few more days, but if it keeps doing it I'm going to have to put it back in the shop. There is significant driving right around the corner (a.k.a. "football season"), and I'm going to need a car I can depend on.

No comments: