Wednesday, July 28, 2004

More Misadventures in Moving

Brandi and I are still in the process of moving. When we first secured the new place it sounded like the transition period would be over a weekend, which would have made this a much smoother process. Doing it over the course of a work week isn't that big of a deal, but it does slow everything down. Spending over ten hours per day in getting ready for, going to, being at, and coming from work really gets in the way. That and my propensity to postpone work for PlayStation, of course. Also, Brandi works into the evenings, so we haven't been able to work together on it much since Sunday.

Still, we shouldn't have any trouble getting finished on time. Yesterday and today were and are big days in the process. For one thing, I unhooked, packed up, and moved my PlayStation yesterday, so I can't "waste" time on it until the TV is moved. I also moved a fair amount of other stuff, and then Brandi and I went through and pulled a lot of clothes I can't/don't wear. She'll be taking those items to Goodwill at some point today.

Today the couch is being moved, and hopefully the television as well. I feel like a dumbass for having a moving company come to take my couch from the middle of the building to the end, but I didn't want to mess with it at all. It's a big couch, and it was a real pain to get it into the place. I'll gladly put it into the hands of the professionals. I think they'll probably move the TV as well, but it's not a problem if they don't get to it for some reason. The TV I have is big and awkward, but it would be easy enough to move with a hand from Brandi. After today the only thing that should be left in the old apartment is one computer, which I'm leaving there for the time being because we won't have internet access in the new place until Saturday. For that matter, I'm not thrilled about moving the television before then, but the only thing I've been watching cable TV for is Reds games, and they haven't been much fun to watch lately. If I miss a few it's no big deal, and this way I can hook up my PlayStation and get back to business as usual.

I didn't get quite as much done yesterday as I would have liked, but I did okay. I got a late start. Brandi called before I left work to ask a favor. She was teaching a yoga class in the evening but hadn't brought any music for it. This led me to Circuit City in search of a generic classical music CD. I found one in fairly short order, but no trip to Circuit City--even one with a specific purpose--is complete without a little browsing. This is usually dangerous, and yesterday was no exception. I left there with the CD I came for, and also with three DVDs: Batman, Forrest Gump, and South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (my DVD page will be updated later today to reflect these additions to my collection).

At any rate, by the time I took that CD to Brandi at her place of employment, I ended up getting home about an hour later than usual. I did spend some quality time with my PlayStation at that point, and then put the Reds game on TV while I moved stuff. I got the living room pretty much emptied out and some other important items moved. I was still working when Brandi got home.

When she got home (close to 10:00 p.m.) we started talking about some stuff we'd like to do or have, and we ended up making a trip to Wal-Mart. We bought a DVD shelf and a new microwave (my old, enormous microwave will be making a one-way trip to Goodwill this afternoon). We had a late dinner when we got back, and then I built the shelf. I was hammering away at it near midnight, and that's one of the things I love about living in a college town--you can generally get away with stuff like that.

Then came the purge of my closet, during which I amused Brandi by trying on clothes which no longer fit. Those clothes are also making the one-way trip to Goodwill today, and I say good riddance to them.

I plan on moving just about everything that's left this evening after I get home from work. Hopefully then I can stop talking about this "moving experience" and get back to whatever it is I normally ramble about.

No comments: