Monday, July 26, 2004

Moving On Up, to a Deluxe Apartment in the Sky

Once again I find myself starting the day with a Mountain Dew. Today it's less because I need the caffeine to survive, and more because I needed something to drink and the water cooler is empty. The caffeine certainly won't hurt, of course, but I'm not as tired as I was for most mornings last week. Go figure, after a day filled with plenty of exercise and then a more typical short night of sleep, this morning I feel fine and alert.

It was a good weekend, and a full one, despite a lack of plans going in. It actually feels like the weekend was longer than it really was, and that never happens.

Friday was nice and relaxing. I got home from work at 5:30, as per usual, and settled myself in front of the PlayStation for a game of football. I played that for a while, and finished up shortly after Brandi got home from work. We went to Pizza Hut for dinner that night, which was exactly what I wanted. We just hung out in the living room for a while after that, and watched the Reds blow a game to the Pirates. Later that evening we went over to hang out with my friend McComas and his girlfriend Charissa. We thought about going out, but decided on just having a low-key evening with just the four of us (five, if you count the occasional interruptions of their daughter Kiersten, who was supposed to be sleeping). Brandi was pretty tired and headed home early, but the rest of us ordered some food, and I stuck around for wings and waffle fries. I eventually wandered home around 3:00 a.m.

We slept in well past noon on Saturday, which was nice, and then had a lazy afternoon. Eventually we managed to get ourselves moving, and we went to the grocery. When we got back, Brandi made tequila lime chicken for dinner, which was awesome. I cooked the chicken out on the grill while Brandi made guacamole and Spanish rice. We've had some good meals together, but this was definitely one of my favorites (and I helped!).

After dinner we decided to go out for drinks. We were kind of waiting to hear from McComas or Brandi's friend Cricket, but we decided to stop waiting and just go out ourselves and maybe meet up with the others later. We started at BW3 and hung out there for a while. Cricket showed up to say hi and to let us know she was staying in for the evening. We headed out after that and met up with McComas and Charissa at Downtown. It was fun to hang out with them again, although McComas grew quite agitated when we learned that Ricky Williams had retired from the NFL. Brandi and I finished the evening upstairs at Uptown, which was packed and good for a few minutes of people-watching.

Sunday got off to an inauspicious beginning. We slept past 1:00 p.m., and I didn't feel very well when I got up. Brandi headed out to run some errands while I stayed in bed. I stayed there for quite a while, actually. Eventually, though, our landlord called to say that our new apartment was ready, so I had to get myself going. I took a shower and got dressed, and then Brandi and I went down to do the check-in, and a short time later we started actually moving stuff in.

It seems a little bizarre to me, but the process of moving in was actually kind of fun. I started feeling better as we got into it, for one thing. It's also not like it's terribly hard. We're staying in the same building, just a few doors down (going from a one-bedroom place to a two-bedroom), so we made use of the building's continuous balcony to move stuff from one apartment to the other. We didn't get everything moved, but we made a pretty significant dent. We did move the bed, so we spent our first night in the new place last night.

We had to take a break in moving stuff to go to the store for a few things, like lightbulbs and a shower liner. One thing we bought was a popcorn maker. We eat a lot of popcorn, so we decided to get a machine dedicated to making it. I'll snap a picture of it this week and share. It sounds boring, but trust me, it's worth seeing.

I'm a little sore this morning from moving stuff, but I think I'll survive. At least I hope so, since there's still plenty of stuff to be moved. Luckily for us, we have until Friday to get it all done. There will be some difficulty in the fact that Brandi and I work different shifts, but I think we'll be fine. A good portion of what's left is the big stuff (couch, TV, computers, etc.), and we're still trying to figure out the logistics of getting that stuff moved. We didn't know we were getting the keys yesterday, so we didn't have a plan formulated. I don't think it'll be a major problem getting it taken care of, though. We also have to take care of the little details, like filling out change-of-address forms and getting our utilities switched over and all that.

One other item of note from this weekend: the title of Star Wars Episode III was announced to be Revenge of the Sith. I like it. It ties in nicely with the original trilogy, especially since Return of the Jedi was originally supposed to be called Revenge of the Jedi (until George Lucas realized that Jedi don't take revenge). That movie will be released on May 19, 2005.

No comments: