Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Purging the Notebook

  • Overhearing a co-worker giving directions to a trucker on how to get to our facility, I have to wonder how she ever gets from Point A to Point B without becoming hopelessly lost or crashing into anything. She doesn't know street names or route numbers, or how highway exits are labeled. She was complaining about a turn-only lane that isn't clearly marked, when there are in fact two signs clearly stating the fact that it's a turn-only lane, not to mention the markings on the pavement.

  • This same co-worker wandered into my office this morning, complaining under her breath about the fact that it's not sunny today. I wasn't sure if she was trying to make conversation or what, so I turned around to look. In fact, she was holding a document up to the window and using the light to trace a signature from an original document. I have no idea what she was doing, but there can't be too many legitimate reasons for this, can there?

  • It took me very little time to get to lunch today, and I have no idea how that happened. Maybe I ran a red light or something without being aware of it.

  • As much as I love the Reds, watching them play lately has been an exercise in frustration. Earlier in the season, it didn't matter if they got behind early because I felt like they could and would come back, and often they did. Now it doesn't matter if they get ahead early, because they've shown a propensity for blowing leads and losing games. They've currently lost six games in a row to even their record at 50-50 with 62 games left. With the trading deadline approaching, it'll be interesting to see what they do. The best I'm hoping for at this point is for them to stand pat. I doubt they'll attempt to upgrade for this season, but at the same time I don't think they can afford to trade players away for prospects. There's too much risk of alienating the fans (and the players) if they do that. I think they should stay the course for the rest of the season and see how it plays out, and then attempt to fill holes in the offseason. As good as the Reds have been at times this season, there are plenty of holes to be filled.

  • I'm still hoping to make it down to Great American Ballpark for a game before the end of the season. I have seen the Reds in person once this year, but it was an away game at Jacobs Field in Cleveland.

  • The Bowling Green State University football team announced yesterday that they've signed an agreement for a home-and-home series with Boise State, starting with a BG trip to Idaho next season (2005). Besides their prolific offense, Boise State is known for their stadium and its blue Astroturf. That would be quite interesting to see in person. Idaho is a damned long way from Ohio, but with a year's notice, I'm hoping I can find a way to swing a trip out there for that game.

  • The news isn't quite as good for another BGSU athletic program. Rising sophomore guard Chris Hobson has apparently left the men's basketball program, and rising junior guard Steven Wright may be considering it as well. I'm a big fan of Falcons head coach Dan Dakich, but the past two seasons have definitely been sub-par and a lot of players have left the program. I'm personally willing to wait and see how the upcoming season plays out before making any judgment on his status with the team, but other fans are not as patient with Coach Dakich as I am. It's not a good situation no matter how you look at it.
  • No comments: