Thursday, July 15, 2004

A Recap

After yesterday's unexpected absense from work, I'm back in the saddle this morning. Here's how the whole thing went down yesterday.

At 7:30 a.m. I woke up briefly to call the office and leave a message saying that my car was in the shop and that I would be there as soon as I could, provided my car was ready at some point during the day. Then I went back to bed.

At 10:30 a.m. I got a phone call from the guy who was working on my car. He said the ignition coil needed to be replaced, and he told me how much that would cost. I told him to go ahead with it, and he said it would take maybe a couple of hours. At this point, I figured I might still be able to make it to work for half a day if they got the car back to me fairly quickly. After the phone call, Brandi and I got out of bed and started our day.

Around 1:00 p.m. I got another call from the mechanic. He said he had replaced the ignition coil and that the check engine light had turned off, but he hadn't been able to make it stop stalling. He said he had some other things he needed to check, but he would call back as soon as he had more info.

At 3:00 p.m. Brandi left for work. I knew at this point that I would have to walk over to Midas when my car was ready, but that was fine since it's only a couple of miles away from my apartment. I decided to put my day off to good use, so I turned on my PlayStation and dived into NCAA Football 2005.

At 6:00 p.m. (still playing football) I called Midas to get an update on my car. They close at 7:00, and since I would have to walk I wanted to find out if it would be ready by that time so I could head over there. The mechanic said he still hadn't found the problem, and that he could probably have it diagnosed by 7:00 but it wouldn't be ready. I wasn't totally thrilled about leaving my car there for another night, but I needed to get this stuff taken care of, so I said that would be fine.

At 6:35 p.m. I got another call from Midas. The mechanic said he wasn't sure if he had corrected the problem or not, but somehow he had gotten the stalling problem to cease. I headed out of the apartment as quickly as I could, and literally ran to Midas. I wasn't entirely sure I could make it in time, but I needed to get my car back if I could. I got there at 6:55, out of breath and dripping.

I have to give Midas credit. The price they charged me was exactly what they said it would be on the phone at 10:30 that morning. Whatever they did after replacing the ignition coil was done free of charge. The guys who work there are really cool, too. I have no problem going in there when I have car trouble.

At any rate, I drove home and my car seemed to be fine. I don't know what they did, and it doesn't sound like they do either, but it worked. At least so far.

I got home a little after 7:00 and went right back to playing PlayStation, where I stayed for most of the rest of the evening. My friend McComas came over around 10:00 to check the game out. Brandi got home from work around 11:00, so we ordered food and the three of us hung out around the PlayStation and talked about football. Does life get any better?

This evening will probably be similar once I get home from work. Brandi won't be home from work until around 11:00, so I'll probably fire up the PlayStation within seconds of walking in the door. I'll put the Reds game on the other TV at 7:00 so I can keep one eye on that while I play. I'm hoping to finish up my first season tonight so I can check out the recruiting feature and see how it's changed from last year's version of the game.

Of course, I do have other stuff that I probably should get to tonight. Whether it happens or not remains to be seen.

I should mention that I didn't miss anything by not coming to work yesterday. There was nothing new in my inbox and no voice mails either. Apparently the only thing I missed was a visit from a salesman that I really don't like much anyway, so that's actually a good thing. I'm glad about this, because I felt a little bad about missing the whole day. I shouldn't, since we haven't been busy lately anyway, but I did.

Now that my car saga seems to have ended, I'm going to try really hard to get back to my normal blogging style and not include quite so much boring detail from my own daily life.

No comments: