Friday, July 16, 2004

Whoa

Wow. Blogger has made some changes, I see. It looks like there are a lot more formatting options now. The toolbar has as many options as a Microsoft Word toolbar, and that's pretty cool. I probably won't use these new options a whole lot, but it's nice having them there if I need/want them. I'm guessing this is why the Blogger website and service was down for two hours one night earlier this week. From what I can see, it was time well spent.

I originally logged on to talk about something completely different, but since it's politics, I'm more than happy to put it off until later, or maybe even forget about it entirely. Instead, I'll thrill everyone with yet another installment of random thoughts.

  • First off, I have to mention how cool it is for Blogger (and Google, the parent company) to offer all this stuff for free. They keep adding stuff that you can do with your blog, and they aren't charging for any of it. Sure, there's that little advertisement at the top of my blog, but I could even get rid of that if I hosted it myself. That little ad--which displays results at least somewhat relevant to the text on the page--is all I have to display to get this cool service for free. In return, they host my site, and provide all these bells and whistles to make it better. Sure, the text itself doesn't take up all that much storage space, but they also host photos and audio. I liked the service when I first signed up in January, and they've improved upon it a whole lot since then.

  • I'm currently working on another page or two for my blog. They should be up and running sometime in the near future, so keep an eye out for them. I've started some basic work, but they're mostly in the planning stages right now.

  • One unexpected side effect of having Brandi move into my apartment is that I now--at long last--seem to be able to get myself out of bed and to work on time. I think it's because having someone there makes me conscious of how many times the alarm goes off, since I don't want to disturb her more than necessary. Part of it is also because sometimes our "morning time" has the potential to overlap, so I want to make sure I get up and get out of her way. At any rate, it's an added bonus since I was starting to feel like an idiot for coming to work late every day.

  • I don't know yet what's on tap for this weekend. I think Brandi might hang out with her friend Rachel at some point tomorrow. I'll probably play a lot of PlayStation. Beyond that, I don't know. I'd really like to get out to see a movie--top candidates are Spider-Man 2, which I inexplicably haven't seen yet, and I, Robot. Other possibilities would be Anchorman, Dodgeball, and Fahrenheit 9/11, but those are all quite a bit less likely.

  • Yesterday I started reading The Winds of War by Herman Wouk. It was recommended to me by Brandi's stepmom, so I thought I'd give it a try. It's a WWII story, and WWII fascinates me. I like it so far, but I'm only a couple of pages into it. It was easy to get into. It's definitely going to take me a while to get through it, though. It's a thick book, and the text is densely packed. Also, it's my lunchtime book, so I'll only be dedicating about 30 minutes per day to it (give or take) through the week.

  • Speaking of books, I still haven't picked up My Life by Bill Clinton. I really do intend to read it at some point, as Mr. Clinton also fascinates me. I'm just a little burned out by the whole political thing right now, so I haven't gotten around to it.

  • No comments: