Tuesday, August 31, 2004

A Case of the Mondays

Yes, I'm aware that it's Tuesday. However, the bad mood that developed yesterday afternoon has seen fit to carry over into today. Isn't that lovely?

I go through stretches like this from time to time, where it feels like the weight of the world is on my shoulders--not in the typical sense that I'm responsible for everything, but in the sense that I find everything to be irritating. That applies even to things that generally give me pleasure; and things that generally annoy me even when I'm in a normal mood have the potential to send me off the deep end.

I have no idea what has caused this feeling. I just know that when I got home yesterday evening, I didn't feel like doing anything. Monday Night Football was on; I didn't want to watch it. The Reds game was on; I didn't want to watch it. I didn't want to play video games. I didn't want to read. I didn't want to write (but I did). The problem was, I didn't want to just sit on the couch, either.

As I said, this happens to me from time to time, and eventually it will pass. I think the problem is that I think too much, as silly as that sounds. I can generally see both sides to an issue, and then my mind gets into these unwinnable debates with itself, and it's just a big mess. What I probably need to do to get myself out of it is just do things that move my mind in a different direction, or allow it to shut off entirely for a while. Writing is generally cathartic for me, and more of that is always a good thing. Reading and playing video games are also good, and as goofy as it seems, I need to talk myself into each of them even though I may not feel like it. I couldn't fall asleep last night, and a game of PlayStation football did help in that regard.

In the meantime, I hope you'll pardon me if I'm a little snippy.

No comments: