Thursday, September 16, 2004

Sweating It Out

Yesterday when I got home from work, there was a note in my door from my landlords. They've turned off our building's central air for the season.

This isn't a huge deal by any means, but it irritates me. Summer doesn't even officially end until next week, and it's been pretty warm outside lately--some of the warmest days of this mild summer, at any rate. It's not as though things immediately cool down with the advent of fall, either. I'm sure there are plenty of hot days coming before the snow flies.

To be fair, the landlords absorb the cost of the air conditioning, as I'm sure they don't want to leave it on any longer than absolutely necessary. I personally feel that if they're going to advertise "air conditioning" as one of the benefits of living in this building (and they do), then the tenants should have full control over when they get to use it; at the same time, I personally have lived in this building for quite some time, and I know the drill. It just always seems like they wait too long to turn it on, then they turn it off again too soon.

Luckily for us, Brandi and I live in probably the best apartment in the building. We're in a corner unit, meaning we have six windows on three faces of the building, so we can get a pretty decent breeze if there's one available (and in Bowling Green, there usually is). The only problem I have with this is that some of the windows--including one in the bedroom--face eastward, and as soon as the sun rises, it's shining directly in my eyes if the window is open. During the week that's fine, but on weekends there will be issues. The sun rises early; I do not.

On a note that's only tangentially related (and probably even that only in my own mind), why is it that every time I see the headline "Gas Prices Drop" (or something like that), the next time I cruise by gas stations the prices have actually gone up by twenty cents or so? Has anyone else noticed this? Gas prices have been a little weird lately anyway. Normally there's some price variation from area to area. The past two times the prices have changed, though, they've been exactly the same at every station I've passed. It's one thing when it's just around Toledo and Bowling Green, but last Friday it was that way all the way down I-75 from Toledo to Troy. Very strange.

No comments: