Tuesday, September 21, 2004

This Will be a Day Long Remembered

On several levels, today is a day I've been waiting on for quite some time.

First, today marks the debut of my new Kerry/Edwards bumper sticker. I got ten of them in the mail yesterday. True to my promise, I immediately went out and put one on the bumper of my car, in the same spot from which two Kerry stickers have already been forcibly removed. I also taped one to my rear windshield, so as to hopefully discourage any would-be vandals from removing the outer sticker--since there's one inside anyway, it doesn't do much good to rip off the one that's outside. This strategy could backfire if someone decides to break my rear windshield to get at that sticker, but I really hope it doesn't come to that.

As I've mentioned several times, today is also the release date for the original Star Wars trilogy on DVD. I'm a little apprehensive about some of the changes that George Lucas has made to the films, but at the same time I'm anxious to see them. I'm also interested in the special features included on the bonus disc. Mostly I'm just excited about having these movies in this format. Star Wars has always been a huge part of my life, and it'll be great to once again be able to watch them over and over. I also get to share them with Brandi, who somehow has never seen them.

It's also the release date for The Dark Tower by Stephen King. It's the seventh and final book of his Dark Tower series, and may in fact turn out to the denouement to his entire literary career. I read the first book in the series, The Gunslinger, back when I was in junior high, and I've been hooked ever since. With the seemingly interminable span of time between books in the series, it hardly seems possible that the series is coming to a close, especially since the sixth book just came out in June. It's been one hell of a ride, and I can't wait to see how it comes out.

I'll be stopping on my way home this evening to pick up both of these items. Knowing me, it's entirely likely that I'll come out of the bookstore with more than just the King book.

No comments: