Monday, September 27, 2004

A Weekend Review of Sorts

Although I had an enjoyable weekend, I doubt that my exploits (or lack thereof) would make for fascinating reading for anyone else. Therefore I'll spare you the details and just hit some highlights.

  • You'll notice that there has been no mention on this blog of BG's 34-17 loss to Northern Illinois on Friday night. This will be the first and only. I recorded the game on my DVR and watched it when I got home from the Troy game that night. I wish I hadn't done so. The Falcons were beaten in every phase of the game. I'm now attempting to purge the whole thing from my memory. Unfortunately, the Falcons don't play another home game until October 16, so it'll be hard to get that bad taste out of my mouth. Hopefully the PlayStation Falcons can help me out in that regard.

  • Perhaps I should have gone into sociology. I'm an admitted people-watcher, and I'm especially fascinated by how people interact. Brandi and I went last night to a showing of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban at the BGSU Student Union, and we sat behind a large group of what appeared to be college freshmen. It was really interesting to watch them. It occurred to me that, most likely, these kids didn't even know each other a month and a half ago. Now most of them are away from familiar surroundings and have been thrust together, through dorms or classes or whatever, and they've reformed into what looked like a tight-knit group.

    It made me think of the group I found myself a part of when I was a freshman in college: myself and my roommate Matt, Lora and Jacki, Josh, Steve, Eric, Shannon, and Hernan. What a crew. I don't think I let myself fully be a part of the group, and I regret that now. Still, we had a lot of good times, and I miss them all (some more than others, of course). I haven't seen most of them since I transferred to Bowling Green from Wright State after my second year there. Lora and Matt and I do e-mail occasionally, and even talk about trying to get together at some point, but it's hard to do with all of us being at different corners of the state.

  • Today I finished reading The Winds of War by Herman Wouk. What an incredible book. It's the tale of an American naval family's travails in the time leading up to the U.S. entry into World War II. Very shortly I'll be picking up War and Remembrance by Wouk, which is a continuation of the family's story through the war.

    In the meantime, tonight I'll be visting the Wood County Public Library to pick out a challenged book to read in commemoration of Banned Books Week. I hope everyone out there is doing the same. I was going to just re-read something I've read before (perhaps Catcher in the Rye, or any of the Harry Potter books), but I think it would be truer to the spirit of the week to read something I haven't read before.
  • No comments: