Wednesday, October 13, 2004

An Impressive Span of Time

Those of you who are astute about such things (a.k.a. those of you who read this page on a regular basis) will notice that there was no post yesterday. I didn't get a chance to write anything because I took most of the day off from work.

As of yesterday, Brandi and I have been together for a year and a half. I normally don't even notice "and a half" milestone (hell, I normally don't even get that excited about normal anniversaries), but for some reason this one seemed significant. That being the case, I took the afternoon off work so she and I could spend the day together.

Actually, I took slightly more than just the afternoon, because first I had to go buy her a gift. That's just the way I am, though--if there's no deadline, I have no motivation.

At any rate, we really didn't do a whole lot, but it was nice just to be able to relax and chill out together. After I got home we planted ourselves on the couch to watch a movie, and we ended up napping there together for a while. When we woke up, we took our time getting ourselves ready, and then went to the Spaghetti Warehouse in Toledo for dinner. That's where we went for our first date. As I remarked to Brandi last night, "a year and a half ago at this time, we were learning each other's last names."

After dinner we had to stop at the UPS distribution center in Maumee so Brandi could pick up a package, as she had ordered a gift for me from eBay. From there we headed home so we could do our gift exchange. She was so excited about my gift that I had to go first. She got me a Star Wars AT-AT toy. That may seem a little strange, but it was the one Star Wars toy that I always wanted as a kid but never got, a fact that I've been known to vent about at length even to this day. Now I have one, and the gift was amusing and touching at the same time. Brandi took some photos of me discovering the AT-AT, and I may post them later, depending on how embarrassing they turn out to be.

At any rate, it was a good day. It's hard to believe that Brandi and I have been together for as long as we have. The time has gone by rather quickly. When we went out on our first date, I never would have believed that we would eventually make it to this point. It just worked out that way, and frankly, I don't think either of us could be happier about it.

No comments: