Wednesday, October 06, 2004

A Trip to the Mall

Yesterday before watching the debate, I did something even less fun. I got a haircut.

I do this at the mall for a couple of reasons, the primary one being that the shop there doesn't require appointments. You just put your name down when you get there, and go in when they call your name. Often this requires a certain amount of waiting, but that's fine. I hate making appointments for just about anything, due to my loathing for structure of any kind, so this method is preferable to me.

Yesterday, though, I didn't have to wait. No one was in the shop when I got there so I was able to just walk right in and get taken care of. That was a nice change.

Normally, I absolutely hate getting my hair cut--this is something that I've talked about before--but yesterday it wasn't so bad. I was feeling a little tense and getting the beginnings of a headache when I went in, so I opted to have my hair washed after it was cut. Normally I skip that step, but yesterday it just sounded nice. It only took a few extra minutes, and it was quite relaxing.

To soothe myself further, when I was finished I went into Waldenbooks. There aren't any books I'm actively looking for right now (which is momentous in itself), but I like just browsing around in there. Being around books comforts and inspires me. Waldenbooks is pretty much the only shop in the BG mall that's worthwhile. Still, I would love it if Bowling Green would get a Borders or a Barnes and Noble. An enormous bookstore with a wide selection would be incredible. I'd spend a lot of time (and probably money) there. I'd like to think a college town could support a business like that, but to be honest, I just don't know. And, to be fair, there is a pretty decent bookstore/hangout downtown in Grounds for Thought.

After the bookstore, I took a stroll through the mall. I didn't go into any other stores because, as I mentioned, Waldenbooks is the only one there that's even worth visiting. However, the mall was having a new car showcase, so I checked out some of the new models. I could see myself in the Honda Civic they had there--it looked good, had an automatic transmission and a CD player, and gets 38 miles per gallon. Most importantly, the sticker price on it was only $14,560. That's still not something I can afford right now, but it's getting there. The number was low enough to give me something to think about, anyway.

From there I headed home, giving only the slightest thought to stopping at the Honda dealership on the way. I probably won't go back to the mall until the next time I need a haircut, and you can believe that I'll be putting that off for as long as possible.

No comments: