Friday, October 08, 2004

Trying to Break the Monotony

I'm having a totally bland and boring day right now. I find that I have nothing of substance to write about, but I'm going to ramble a bit anyway, just to give myself something to do. I have to be here for another two hours, so hopefully this will make the time go a little faster.

As bored as I am, I'm already doing quite a bit better than I was this morning. I woke up with a headache that no amount of Excedrin or caffeine was able to dissipate. By the time my lunch break rolled around, I was starting to feel slightly dizzy and lightheaded, and mildly nauseated as well. Since I ate, though (Wendy's single combo), I feel fine. I can still feel a little twinge of the headache from time to time, but I think another Excedrin around 4:30 will probably take care of that.

After work today I'm heading out for what looks to be a pretty full weekend. Brandi is going with me down to Troy tonight for the football game against Vandalia Butler, which is Troy's Homecoming game. We're going to stay overnight at my parents' house, then tomorrow we're going to have dinner with Amy and Doug before coming back to Bowling Green. On Sunday we're going to Clyde to see some of Brandi's friends and family.

It probably won't happen this weekend due to what we already have going on, but at some point soon I really want to see Friday Night Lights, which opens today. I haven't really seen very many football movies just because most of them look so over-the-top that I'm not even interested, but this one looks to be well done. I've heard good things about it so far, so I'm psyched to see it. Then I'll have to read the book.

Speaking of books, I'm now slightly more than halfway through American Psycho, which I started last week in honor of Banned Books Week. It's an interesting read. I don't know that I would go so far as to say I like it, just because it doesn't strike me as the sort of book that can be liked. There's no discernible plot and no sympathetic characters. Still, it keeps me turning the pages. I have to say that I would definitely not be reading this during my lunch break each day if I were the sort of person who had a weak stomach for gore, because the violent imagery is quite graphic.

In contrast, last night I was reading through one of my Calvin and Hobbes books. I really, really wish Bill Watterson would revive this comic strip. It's hard to believe that it's been gone for almost nine years. I've never read another one like it. It was always funny and insightful at the same time, and did a wonderful job of summing up both the innocence and the destructive tendencies of youth. At least I have several books full of strips, which I can always open when I need a dose of something fresh. I wish I had one here at work with me, actually.

No comments: