Monday, October 04, 2004

The Weekend That Was

I find that long weekends are never quite long enough. This one was just long enough to make me seriously want to never come back to work. Unfortunately, at no point during the weekend did I become independently wealthy, so here I am again.

I took last Friday as a vacation day, so my weekend essentially started once I left here on Thursday. Brandi and I watched the presidential debate that evening, which was a source of great amusement for me. Kerry kicked Bush's ass all over the stage. At one point our President stared blankly at the camera for so long that I started to think my cable had frozen. Mr. Kerry's answers made a lot more sense than did Mr. Bush's, who hasn't seemed to notice over the past four years that his "core convictions" have weakened our nation in just about every way possible. It sounds like the polls now show the candidates as being even; while I normally put very little stock in polls, the upward trend for Mr. Kerry is encouraging. I hope he can sustain and build this momentum over the course of the next month. At this point, I feel pretty good.

On Friday Brandi got up and went to work out, while I stayed home and slept in. When Brandi got home we started getting ready to hit the road for the Troy-Piqua game, and we left around 2:30. That put us at Amy and Doug's house around 4:00, and we left for the stadium shortly thereafter. The gates didn't open until 6:00, but for this game people generally begin lining up pretty early. This year it turned out that we were among the first ones there. It wasn't bad, though. Doug went and got food for all of us, and it was a nice day to sit outside and just hang out.

Doug, being a native Piquad, split from the rest of us shortly before the gates opened. For the rest of us, things got even better from that point on. We got good seats before the stands started filling up, and we ended up sitting behind a lady who found the three of us absolutely hilarious. That's always fun. So is watching Troy annihilate Piqua, and that's exactly what happened during the game.

Afterwards, Brandi and I headed down to my parents' house for a little bit. I had brought a couple of pictures that my mom wanted, and so I dropped those off. We hung out in the living room and discussed politics with my mom, and Brandi and I bestowed some affection upon my dog. We didn't stay for too long, though. We left around 11:00 and went back to Amy and Doug's house. There we watched the local news for the football highlights, and Doug showed me the demo for the Star Wars: Battlefront video game.

Brandi and I came back to Bowling Green that night and immediately went to bed upon our return. She had to teach at noon on Saturday, and I got up shortly after she left in order to do some stuff around the apartment. Then I turned on college football. Brandi came home and watched with me, and we also listened to the Bowling Green game on the radio. It was unfortunate that the game wasn't on television, since BGSU hung 70 points on Temple.

That evening we had some people over for a little get-together. McComas and Charissa came over, and McComas's friend Todd was in town from DC (he had actually come over earlier in the day to hang out and watch football while McComas's grandparents were in town). Another friend, Jeff, eventually showed up, and Brandi coaxed her friend Rachel into coming as well. We hung out and did some drinking here for a while, then headed out to the bars. We went to a few different places and had a hell of a time. Most of us ended up back here for yet a little bit longer, and Todd and Rachel both stayed over--they enjoyed one another's company quite a bit, it seems.

Sunday was more low-key. I didn't get up until 2:00 in the afternoon, and just sat on the couch watching football. Brandi got up around 3:00. We had some errands to run, and also had lunch while we were out. She made cookies after we got back. When they were done, we took some down for McComas and Charissa and ended up hanging out at their place for a while.

All in all, the weekend was a whole lot of fun, but it would have been nice to have yet another day to recover. Nonetheless, I can't wait to have another weekend just like it.

No comments: