Monday, November 22, 2004

The Beginning of the End

Getting to work was a real pain in the ass this morning. It took well over an hour to make the 28 mile trip, a drive that normally takes about half an hour. There were two accidents on I-75 between Bowling Green and Perrysburg. That's a ten-mile stretch in which there's only one exit, so even that one alternate route was clogged as well. I stuck it out on I-75 through an absurdly long line of stop-and-go traffic. I made it to work shortly before 9:00, which is a little later than I usually like to be.

This is my last week here at my current job, and it's a short week at that. My last day is Wednesday. I still don't think I've fully realized that, but it's coming. This week will be spent in trying to ensure a smooth transition after I'm gone. I'm still writing up instructions on how to perform my various tasks here, and that will probably take up a good portion of the week since I'm trying to be as detailed as possible. Other than that I'll just be tying up loose ends, making sure I've taken care of as much as possible, and clearing out my desk. I've already taken home most of my personal items, except for anything I'll use this week, so I just need to go through some paperwork to see what needs to be filed and what can be thrown away.

I thought some about the upcoming change over the past weekend, but I spent the bulk of it doing other things. That turned out to be a good choice, as it was a good weekend.

On Friday evening Brandi and I went out to dinner at Cucina di Betto in downtown Bowling Green. The food, as usual, was awesome. Shortly after returning home, we went to bed for the night. This wasn't really planned, but we both were tired and fell asleep, and ended up sleeping through the night.

Turning in early on Friday meant getting up early on Saturday, which is fairly rare for us. I was out of bed before 9:00 that day, and Brandi wasn't asleep much longer than I was. We hung out for a while, then Brandi left to go work out before teaching her class at noon. I stayed at the apartment and watched College Gameday and some college football while playing PlayStation. Brandi got home shortly after 1:00 and we continued watching football well into the afternoon. Then we took a nap.

I napped until a car alarm started going off in a nearby parking lot and continued going off for several minutes. Brandi slept through it, but I got up to watch more football. Brandi got up shortly thereafter and we got ourselves ready to go out for the evening.

We went out to BW3 to have some food. When we were finished eating, we adjourned from the eating area to the bar area to meet up with McComas and some other people, and eventually Charissa joined us as well. We stayed at B-Dubs until nearly midnight, when they were getting ready to close down the bar area. From there we went to Downtown, which was pretty crowded. We managed to find a table, though, and it was fun to just hang out for a while.

After last call, we went to Waffle House to get some food. It was busy there as well, so we had to wait a while for food. We ended up getting home around 4:00 a.m. It had been a long time since we had been out that long, though.

I'm not sure when Brandi got up on Sunday morning, but I slept until shortly after noon. I got up and watched some of Fox's NFL pregame show, which then morphed into a football game. Brandi watched with me for a while, then went to the grocery. I continued watching football and playing PlayStation until she returned. Then we went for haircuts.

Upon returning home, I returned to PlayStation and televised football. Brandi went into the kitchen to make dinner. She made lasagna, and we invited McComas and Charissa (and Kiersten) to come have dinner with us. That was fun. The baby really seems to enjoy our apartment, probably because it offers all sorts of new stuff for her to try to destroy. She's pretty amusing, though, and we manage to keep most important stuff out of her reach.

After they left, Brandi starting working on a project for work while I did some laundry. Later we watched the latest episode of Desperate Housewives, recorded on our DVR. Then we finished the laundry and went to bed.

Next weekend, of course, will be a long one due to Thanksgiving. That should give me plenty of time to get used to the idea that I'll be finished working here for good. It's a strange thought, in a way, but a good one. I think enough is going on that the days of this week will pass by quickly. I'm busy here at work, and there's stuff to look forward to each evening. Tonight is Monday Night Football, tomorrow is the BG-UT football game on ESPN2, and Wednesday is BG's first home basketball game.

No comments: