Friday, November 12, 2004

Football Picks, NFL Week 10

For the second week in a row, I won last week's football picks contest with Brandi. I went 17-8 (8-6 NFL, 9-2 NCAA) to her 16-9 (7-7 NFL, 9-2 NCAA). I was rewarded with buffalo tenders, potato wedges, and an alcoholic beverage last night at BW3. Ah, sweet victory.

There are some tough matchups to call this week in the NFL. At the halfway point of the season, there are a lot of 5-3, 4-4, and 3-5 records, and only a handful of teams that are really good or really bad. That said, here are my best guesses for this week.

(3-5) Kansas City @ New Orleans (3-5)
(5-3) Baltimore @ NY Jets (6-2)
(4-4) Detroit @ Jacksonville (5-3)
(3-5) Tampa Bay @ Atlanta (6-2)
(7-1) Pittsburgh @ Cleveland (3-5)
(5-3) Seattle @ St. Louis (4-4)
(3-5) Chicago @ Tennessee (3-5)
(4-4) Houston @ Indianapolis (5-3)
(3-5) Cincinnati @ Washington (3-5)
(5-3) Minnesota @ Green Bay (4-4)
(5-3) NY Giants @ Arizona (3-5)
(1-7) Carolina @ San Francisco (1-7)
(3-5) Buffalo @ New England (7-1)
(7-1) Philadelphia @ Dallas (3-5)

Onto the college ranks. You know things have gotten bad in Happy Valley when I'm agonizing over a decision on a game between Penn State and Indiana. I'm still not sure if I'm going with my head or my heart. I think Joe Paterno is awesome, but they are having some serious problems. This year is a total loss, but I really hope they can put it together for next year so he can go out on a high note.

(5-4) Northwestern @ Michigan (8-1)
(7-2) Iowa @ Minnesota (6-4)
(2-7) Penn State @ Indiana (3-6)
(9-0) Wisconsin @ Michigan State (4-5)
(6-3) Ohio State @ Purdue (5-4)

After six games against fairly weak opponents, Bowling Green actually gets a decent game this weekend with Marshall coming to town. This game is going to be a lot of fun. It's our last shot at them before they leave the MAC, so here's hoping we lay the sMACk down on them (get it?). For this one I'm picking with my head and my heart. Brandi and I are going out early to tailgate, and for a noon game, that's pretty early. It should be a good time, though. I don't see any other games in the MAC that are even mildly interesting. That's probably why our game has been picked as the MAC Game of the Week (televised on Fox Sports Ohio at noon).

(5-4) Marshall @ Bowling Green (7-2)
(5-4) Akron @ Ohio (4-6)
(3-6) Central Michigan @ Buffalo (1-8)
(6-3) Miami @ Western Michigan (1-8)
(0-9) Central Florida @ Ball State (1-8)
(4-5) Eastern Michigan @ Kent State (3-6)

It will feel strange to have a weekend which doesn't include high school football. At some point I may attend some more playoff games, with teams chosen at random, but I'm taking this week off at least. There's still plenty of football on the docket, so I think I'll be able to cope.

No comments: