Sunday, November 28, 2004

Here I Go

I start my new job tomorrow.

Here on the cusp, I've begun to wonder if taking this job wasn't a colossal mistake. I'm aware that it's mostly just my nerves talking. They're starting to rev up a little bit, as I figured they would around this point. I'll be fine by tomorrow morning. Honestly, I'm fine right now. I've just started thinking about it a little more. The financial situation is beginning to worry me a little bit. I just need to remember that this job offers opportunities for me to earn more, which the job I just left did not. I also need to remember that I can work overtime if I need to.

Also, if I really need to, I can always go back to my old job. I was virtually told as much before leaving on Wednesday. I can't imagine myself doing it, but it's a nice security blanket to have.

If anything, I think I'm just a little apprehensive about leaving the comfort zone of a job that I had been doing for just under three years. I didn't exactly like it, but after doing it for so long, there's definitely a routine to it. In another sense, though, I'm really just going into a different comfort zone. Editing is in my wheelhouse. I'm good at it. No matter how long I had been doing purchasing, I never felt like I knew enough about it. I'm getting away from that feeling, and all the irritating things about the job that I didn't like at all.

Other than the financial situation, I'm really looking forward to my new job. I'm looking forward to meeting new people and hopefully making new friends. I'm looking forward to getting to do a job that I like. I'm looking forward to having opportunities to move up, not only in pay scale but also in terms of the organization. I'm looking forward to learning new things and taking on new challenges. It should be fun.

I start tomorrow at 8:30. I have to work in the warehouse for the first two weeks, to learn the job from the ground up. For those two weeks I'll be starting at 8:30, and then my regular hours will be 9:00 to 5:00. My goal is to continue to get up at the same time as I have been, as if I had to be at work at 8:00. That will give me some extra time each morning to make sure I'm out of here on time. I can use that time for reading or writing, or whatever I need it for.

I have no idea how this is going to affect my blogging schedule. I don't anticipate having time to do it at work each day anymore. However, it's still my intention to write something each day. I'll just have to do it on my own time.

No comments: