Monday, November 01, 2004

One Final Push

Tomorrow is Election Day. I'm sure some of you may have heard. Among other things, we'll be choosing the man who will be the face and voice of our nation for the next four years. Will we stay the course, or will we choose a new direction?

George W. Bush has done nothing, in my estimation, to earn a single vote tomorrow. He has lead us into needless war, and thus has made it easier for terrorist organizations to recruit. The economy is a shambles, and his tax cuts for the wealthy have done absolutely nothing to stimulate a recovery. He also supports codifying bigotry into the Constitution. The prospect of another four years with him at the helm, four years in which Bush doesn't even have to worry about re-election, is a frightening proposition. I fear for the future of this nation if he wins tomorrow.

Is Mr. Kerry the perfect solution to all of this country's ills? Of course not. No one is. However, after four years of dismal failure, we need to go in a new direction. Mr. Kerry is an intelligent and articulate man who has a much better chance of reclaiming our status in the world. He understands nuances and does not see everything in the black and white tones of absolute good and evil in which our current administration seems stuck. Admittedly, I threw my support behind Mr. Kerry early on simply because I believed that anyone would be better than Mr. Bush. While I still believe that to be true, I believe that Mr. Kerry's ability to lead this nation stands on its own.

Get out and vote tomorrow. Whether you agree with me or not, make your voice heard. That's what democracy is all about.

No comments: