Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Out of the Loop

A definite negative of my new job is the lack of Internet access. I did manage to hear that Butch Davis resigned as head coach of the Cleveland Browns on my way to work this morning, but I left work today and found out on the radio that Bowling Green had accepted a big to the GMAC Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, and also that Notre Dame had fired head coach Tyrone Willingham. Normally I would have learned that information over the course of the day, and being unable to do that leaves me feeling very much out of the loop.

I did meet more people today, including everyone that works in the Marketing department with me. Remembering all of their names is another story, but I did at least meet everyone. I'm generally good with names, but there were a bunch of them thrown at me all at once. I did get most of them, and the remaining few will come. I also met a few people that work in the warehouse, just through random lunchtime conversation. One guy I met gave me some pretty good inside info--apparently a lot of people at work are related in some way to other people at work, so office gossip is generally not a good idea. That's good to know.

I was bored for a fair portion of the day. I thought that was over with when I took this new job, particularly when I found out that this is "crunch time," but apparently the admonition yesterday that I work too quickly was not just an offhand remark. I haven't been there nearly long enough to be able to take any sort of initiative and find stuff to do on my own, so I either have to bother someone to teach me something new or I have to just wait for something to show up in my inbox. Luckily, I did get a pretty significant packet toward the end of the day, so I should be able to keep pretty busy in the morning. I just have to remember to pace myself a little better, because getting things done quickly doesn't seem to do much good.

I don't know if I'll be able to continue my habit of reading on my lunch break. I only have half an hour, so most of the time I won't be able to get away from the office. There's actually a lunch room there, so I can't eat at my desk, and I don't want to go into a crowded lunchroom and appear antisocial by burying myself in a book. Then again, I don't want to fool anyone either. I am a little antisocial, and I don't want to force myself to talk to anyone/everyone when it's not really in my nature. If I happen to make friends, fine, but it's not why I'm there.

I'm still trying to get a feel for how much I like this job. I definitely like the fact that I'm good at it, and it's good to be working again with words. Beyond that, I don't know. The creature comforts aren't quite what I'm used to. That shouldn't be a big deal, and hopefully it won't be as I get more used to it. I think I just feel weird because I'm out of my routine and trying to forge a new one. Right now everything is new, and not a minute goes by at work that I'm not acutely aware of my surroundings. As that fades and I grow more comfortable, I think I'll feel better about the whole thing.

I'm not going to talk about this job every day this week, by the way. You know, in case you were wondering.

No comments: