Tomorrow at this time, I'll be finishing out my very last day as an employee of this particular company. With that in mind, here are some things I want to note before I leave.
Some things I'll miss about the job I'm leaving:
* Some of my co-workers
* Some vendor representatives that I work with on a regular basis
* Occasionally being presented with cool gifts (restaurant gift certificates, hockey tickets, etc.)
* Nearly unlimited Internet time
* Access to magazines like Popular Science, Sports Illustrated, Maximum PC, and Travel and Leisure
* A one-hour lunch break
* The relatively lax attendance policy
* The large window in my office
* Watching National Guard jets practice
Some things I most assuredly will not miss about the job I'm leaving:
* Dealing with salespeople
* Having a phone on my desk in general
* One co-worker who randomly wanders around the office for no apparent reason
* One co-worker who shouts at her kids over the phone each afternoon
* The same co-worker who uses the non-word "boughten" as the perfect form of the verb "to buy" (it should, in fact, be "bought")
* Various co-workers complaining about financial problems brought on by their own stupidity
* Starting at 8:00 a.m.
* Being five miles away from civilization when I choose to go out for lunch
* My unfriendly boss, who has spoken to me probably fewer than ten times the whole time I've worked here, and only once in a friendly way (and that was the day I put in my notice)
Some things I'm looking forward to about the job I'm starting:
* A change of scenery
* Wearing casual clothes (jeans, tennis shoes) to work
* Being able to listen to music while I work
* Shaving at least a few miles off my daily commute
* The purported "family atmosphere" of the office
* Being close to many options if I choose go leave the office for lunch
* Starting at 9:00 a.m.
* Occasional bonuses (I hope)
* Opportunities for raises and advancement
* Most of all, getting a chance to once again work with words and practice my passion for editing
I reserve the right to add to these lists over the course of the next few days, up until I actually start my new job.