Wednesday, November 24, 2004

This One Stings

Last night, Bowling Green's football team lost to the hated Toledo Rockets 49-41.

I didn't go to the game, but instead watched it on television (ESPN2) with Brandi and McComas. The loss aside, it was a good time. Brandi and I went and got some wings, and Brandi also made her famous nacho concoction so we would have plenty of snacks during the game. I would like to note that she does stuff like this for McComas and me for football games all the time, and she is totally awesome for doing so. McComas brought the baby along, and she was quite entertaining. She got a little fussy a few times, but overall she was pretty good.

The game, however, was not so good, despite the fact that it started well. BG came out on fire and took a commanding lead into halftime, then proceeded to fall apart. They allowed Toledo back into the game, totally lost momentum, and gave the game away. It's a big loss, not only because this is a big rivalry, but also because of what it could mean for our season. The MAC currently has only three guaranteed bowl bids for this year, and right now Bowling Green would be the likely outsider.

The officiating in the game was terrible. Toledo's blockers were obviously holding on nearly every one of their big plays, but they were only flagged for it once. I re-watched several of Bowling Green's offensive plays, and they were not holding nearly as often. The one that bothered me the most was when Toledo's defense sacked BG QB Omar Jacobs by pulling him down by the head. I thought it warranted a facemask penalty, if not unnecessary roughness, but it wasn't flagged at all. However, I want to make clear that the officiating did not cost the Falcons the game. The loss was caused by some sloppy play, the inability to make plays at a couple of key points, and weak playcalling on both sides of the ball. I think the turning point of the game came just before halftime. Toledo was driving, but Bowling Green picked off a pass with more than a minute left before the break. Instead of trying to score, the Falcons ran out the clock. I really think that took an edge off our players, and they just never got it back after that. It's unfortunate.

Now there's nothing to do except wait and see if the Falcons will get a bid to a bowl game. I sincerely hope so, because it will be a long offseason if we're left with the taste of this game in our mouths. I think we'll get one, but I'm not counting on it.

Hopefully I'll be able to start putting the game out of my mind this evening when I get to see the Bowling Green men's basketball team play for the first time this year. They're playing Illinois-Chicago at Anderson Arena at 7:00, and I can't wait to get back to "The House That Roars."

No comments: