Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Meanwhile, Back at the Homestead...

With all the hoopla surrounding the beginning of a new job, it occurred to me today that I've so far neglected to write about the long holiday weekend. I want to do so now, because it was a good one and bears mention. The challenge, of course, will be to now see how much of it I can remember.

The end of Wednesday's workday came a little early, as the owner of the company said we could all leave before the normal 5:00 quitting time. I actually stuck around for a little while to chat with some of my co-workers, since it was my last day working there, but I still left around 4:50. It felt a little strange to leave for the last time, but I didn't dwell on it for too long.

I got home and changed clothes and headed over to Anderson Arena. It was Bowling Green's first home basketball game, my first chance to visit Anderson this season, so I wanted to get there early and soak in the atmosphere. I also wanted to watch the team warm up so I could learn the new players and start to get a feel for them before the game started. The Falcons played Illinois-Chicago, a good team from the Horizon League, and beat them pretty handily.

I got up on Thursday morning and drove down to Troy for Thanksgiving with my family. Brandi had to work in the morning so she couldn't come along, but she got to go spend some time with her family instead. I got into town around noon, so I had time to lend a hand and to relax before lunchtime (big lunchtime gatherings at our house always start at 1:00). Mom put out a great spread, as she always does, and it was good to be around family for a while. I don't get to see them very often, so I look forward to these opportunities.

My parents always leave the day after Thanksgiving for a week at Daytona Beach, and this year was no exception. I stayed in Troy overnight, but everyone was gone by the time I got up on Friday. I just read the newspaper and then got on the road back to Bowling Green. Brandi and I ended up getting back at around the same time. We just hung out for a little bit, and then we took a nap.

When we got up, Brandi went out for dinner and then to a BGSU hockey game with some friends from her hometown who came to visit. I stuck around here at the apartment for a while, then went out to meet up with my friend Adam who was in town from Texas for the holiday. We had a few drinks and were joined later by a couple of his other friends. Brandi also joined us after her friends left, having gotten a new tattoo over the course of the evening. It was a good time. Adam came over and ended up crashing here at our place for the night.

Brandi got up on Saturday morning and went to work out while I stayed behind and watched College Gameday. Cricket came to pick up Adam so they could go to the airport and fly back to Texas, so I got to chat with her for a few minutes. Then I turned to my PlayStation.

Brandi got home a short time later, and we headed over to Anderson Arena for another BGSU basketball game. The opponent this time was a pretty good Bradley team, and it turned into another solid win for the Falcons. From there we went to the mall so Brandi could get some new shoes (she said to tell you she likes them a whole lot). Then we spent the rest of the evening at home. We watched Aladdin, and then Brandi went to bed. I stayed up for a while, though, watching movies and playing PlayStation. I watched all of The Empire Strikes Back and then started Transformers the Movie (which I finished on Sunday). I went to bed around 3:00, which was nice. I always used to stay up that late back in the "olden days," and I miss it sometimes.

Brandi had to work on Sunday. I got up and ran some errands for her, then hung out and watched NFL football for much of the day. That continued even after she got home from work that evening. I wasn't particularly enthused about the Sunday night matchup itself (Oakland @ Denver), but when I saw that it was snowing heavily there was no way I could turn it off. I love watching football in the snow, and it turned out to be a pretty good game.

This coming weekend should be fairly laid back. Brandi and I are going down to the Troy area to stay at Amy and Doug's house while they're out of town. We're going to keep their cats company and mostly just chill out for a couple of days. It's not an exciting trip, but it'll be nice to have a change of scenery and a couple of days with not much to do.

No comments: