Friday, December 10, 2004

Reflections After the First Two Weeks of a New Job

When I arrived for my first day of work, I saw that a good portion of the parking lot was torn up. Apparently the previous weekend had seen a bunch of rain, and somehow it had done a lot of damage to the pavement, which then had to be torn out. They've been doing construction on it ever since, and so our company is sharing a parking lot with the company in the adjacent building. The pavement in that lot is pretty torn up as well, and there are no delineated parking spaces, and it has caused a great deal of confusion. I thought I had a great spot when I got there this morning, but I realized that if I parked there, another car would be trapped. I found a similar spot a moment later, and eventually had to park way down the row to keep from blocking anyone else. I knew someone else would probably end up parking in those spots anyway, but I definitely didn't want it to be me. The word around the office is that our parking lot isn't going to be finished until next spring, which would definitely suck if it turned out to be true.

After two full weeks, I'm still absorbing the differences between my new job and my old job. My old job dealt in modification of capital equipment, from pickup trucks all the way up to massive cranes, wheel loaders, and backhoes. However, before my departure there were only fourteen employees, and the company was lucky to do a million dollars' worth of business in a year. My new job is with a company that deals in videotapes and DVDs, which would seem to be a great deal less complex than capital equipment. However, this place has approximately 130 employees, and they do several million dollars' worth of business each month. It's just an interesting contrast.

Next week is our company Christmas party. It's on Wednesday evening. I heard about it very early on in my first week, from none other than the company president (who has already spoken to me far more in two weeks than my last boss did in nearly three years). I wasn't originally planning to go, and in fact I got a little bent out of shape when I found out it was for employees only and thus I wouldn't be able to take Brandi with me. I eventually talked myself into going, mostly because it seems like a good opportunity to meet more of my co-workers. I turned in my RSVP on Friday, so I guess I'm going. I've heard a fair amount about past company parties, though, and it seems like a pretty good time. There will be plenty of food, and almost everyone there will win a prize. One lady in my department was telling me that in the past they've given out some pretty big prizes, like televisions, DVD players, etc. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be totally lame.

I'm still waiting to be trained on the full extent of my job responsibilities. It seems everyone is still too busy to bother. Luckily for me, there's been plenty of proofreading to keep me busy in the meantime. It's fine with me if it stays that way; the proofreading is what I signed up for anyway. Apparently I've been doing as well as I expected I would. I was already told earlier this week that I was doing an excellent job, and then the lady said that if I ever became irritated with my job that she would get down on her knees and beg me to stay. That seems a little over-the-top considering how short of a time I've been there, but I guess if I'm doing it well and they've had a hard time filling the position with someone who was good at it, then I guess that's an expected reaction. I just hope that the powers-that-be feel the same way and try to keep me happy as time goes along.

I've gotten to the point where I can say confidently that I do like the job. I'm still a little out of my element with the different schedule from what I'm used to. I have been doing a good job of continuing to get up at 7:00 and having an hour to myself in the morning before I leave. The thing I'm still having trouble adjusting to is not having any Internet time while I'm at work. I'm glad I stay busy, but I'm used to doing almost all of my surfing on company time. Now I have to do it all at home, and sometimes I don't get around to doing some of the things I want to do. So far I've managed to keep my blog updated, which is the most important thing. I'm sure I'll get more comfortable with it as I get more comfortable with my job in general, but for right now I'm still adjusting.

No comments: