Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Back in the Warehouse

Not for a whole week this time, nor even a whole day. I was told yesterday that my services would be required in the warehouse after lunch today.

This isn't exactly uncommon, from what I understand. Often, when things get really busy in the warehouse, office personnel are asked to work out there in order to help them get caught up. Generally this happens on Wednesdays and Thursdays, as Thursday is our big shipping day so all those orders have to be pulled.

That's what I was needed for today. I did my regular proofreading job in the morning, then went out into the warehouse in the afternoon. The stack of orders needing to be pulled was enormous, much larger that I had ever seen it. Of course, I haven't really spent a whole lot of time in the warehouse, so that's not saying a whole lot. Still, it was easy to see why they needed some extra hands out there.

Pulling orders is somewhat tough for me, in that it's like walking through an enormous store full of stuff I want but can't have. I love movies, and when I walk through the aisles of shelves in the warehouse, there are so many that I want to grab and take home with me. It's not just theatrical movies that tempt me, either, but also documentary films, educational videos, etc. I want to watch them all. Now, I can purchase videos directly from work, but so far I've managed to keep myself from asking how to go about doing that. I know once I do, it'll be like opening the floodgates. I'm sure I'll do it eventually, but I'm trying to hold off for as long as I can.

Aside from that, I like working in the warehouse. Not so much that I would want to work out there full time, but enough that it's a welcome change when I'm asked to go out there for a bit. The work isn't hard, and it's nice being on my feet and moving around. When you finish a task out there, you just move into a different area to help out until everyone is finished. If everyone finishes early, you get to go home early. Nice and simple. It's easy to work out there and go home for the day feeling content. Working in the office, due to not always having enough to do and other things, sometimes I leave at the end of the day feeling like it would be great if I never had to come back again.

I'm still waiting to find out the motivation behind my bigger desk. I'm starting to think perhaps the switch was made just because the person whose desk I got didn't need or want that much space, so they needed to stick the enormous one with someone else. Given how long it's been since the new desk was brought in and the fact that I've heard nothing about it, I'm starting to doubt if anything will come of it. This month will probably be okay in terms of having stuff to do, since we're doing two catalogs for this month and the pages are already building up in my inbox. Still, until things change and I have things to do on a constant basis, I'll be way more than happy to go out into the warehouse whenever they need someone.

I don't know how often that's going to happen, though. From what I understand, they're hiring some more warehouse help so the office staff doesn't have to go out there as much. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how that works out.

No comments: