Monday, February 21, 2005

Grabbed The Proton Packs On Their Backs and Then Split

Brandi went out of town this past weekend for a fitness conference, so I planned on spending the weekend on my own. Although I very much like having her around, I wasn't concerned about getting bored while she was gone. I also enjoy having some occasional time to myself, and I had several things in mind to keep myself occupied in her absence.

The weekend started with a quick trip to the Wood County library on my way home from work on Friday. It had to be a quick trip because I didn't get there until about 5:35 and they close at 6:00 on Friday. That was okay, though. I was there mainly to pick up Hearts in Atlantis on DVD, and I also wanted to take a quick look though the audiobooks section to get a new story or two to listen to in my car. I ended up getting two short ones--Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, which has somehow escaped my attention to this point, and The Man in the Black Suit by Stephen King. The King audiobook is just a collection of four short stories, and if they exist in any other form, I'm not aware of them.

From the library I came home briefly, mostly just to drop off my stuff. Then I headed over to the BGSU Ice Arena for a BG hockey game against Western Michigan. I'm not a huge hockey fan, but I do like it, and I try to get to a game or two each year. This was my first game this year. I got there about 40 minutes before the game started, and I'm not sure why. I like getting to basketball games early to watch the teams warm up and the crowd file in, but I had forgotten how excruciating it is to get to a hockey game early.

At any rate, the time passed, and I was really glad that I went. There was a pretty decent crowd, which is a switch from when I used to go more frequently. It was nice to see that our fans are getting back to their less-than-cordial form. The game itself was good too. The Falcons looked a little rough in the first period, at least to my untrained eye, but they were able to end the period at a 1-1 tie. They looked a whole lot better after that, and they won the game 4-1.

I came home after the game, and almost as soon as I walked in the door I got a phone call from my friend Amy. We hadn't talked for a while, so we were on the phone for about an hour and a half. After that I just kind of hung out and relaxed. I played on the Internet and did some reading before finally calling it a night and getting into bed.

I got up shortly before 11:00 on Saturday morning and took my time about getting ready. Around 11:45 I left for Anderson Arena. The Falcons' basketball team was playing Arkansas-Little Rock at 1:00 in the ESPN Bracket Buster, and it was a nice enough day for me to walk there. I arrived about an hour before gametime and assumed my usual spot in the fourth row of the bleachers. The game was perhaps more exciting than it should have been--BG jumped out to a big lead early, then had to fight to hang on down the stretch. That seems to be a familiar refrain lately, and as long as it keeps working, it's fine with me.

After the game I hurried out to the student parking lot on the eastern edge of campus, where I had left Brandi's car the night before. She had parked in the Ice Arena lot when she left, so I moved it to the student lot after the hockey game on Friday so she wouldn't get towed overnight. After the basketball game, I drove it home. I got there quickly enough that I was able to catch most of Coach Dakich's postgame comments on the radio, which had been my goal.

When I got home I watched Hearts in Atlantis (more comments on that probably later in the week) and played some PlayStation. Then I called my mom. I also hadn't talked to mom for a while. She had tried to call on Friday evening, but as I was at the hockey game and sitting close to the band, I didn't even bother to answer my phone because I knew I wouldn't be able to hear anything she had to say. We talked for a while, and I watched basketball on television. There was another BGSU hockey game that evening, and I debated for a while whether I was going to attend or not. I finally decided against it, as there were plenty of other things I wanted to accomplish over the course of the weekend, and going to the hockey game wasn't going to help me get them done.

Shortly after that, Brandi called to let me know that she was leaving the conference early and that she would be home later that night. So, naturally, after I talked to her, I laid down on the couch and fell asleep, almost until she got home.

We didn't do much after she did get home. It was around 10:00 by then. My original plan for the evening was to go out drinking with my friend McComas, but Brandi was tired and didn't want to go out, so we stayed home. McComas didn't call, so I'm hoping he found something else to do. Brandi actually didn't stay up very long. My stomach was a little upset, though, and I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep, so I stayed up for a while. I played some PlayStation, and I read quite a bit, but other than that I didn't really get anything accomplished.

Sunday, as usual, was a pretty lazy day. Brandi got up and let me continue sleeping, but eventually she gave up and came back to bed. I think we slept until about 2:30. We ordered some food and watched some television, and that was the extent of most of the day. Later in the evening Brandi decided to do her taxes, which inspired me to do mine (we did our federal and state but still have to do local). I also ordered some tickets for a Reds game this summer.

That was pretty much how the weekend ended. It didn't contain all the things I thought it would when it started, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm glad Brandi got to come home early. After all, there's no guarantee that I would have gotten everything done even if she had been gone for another day, and knowing me, I probably wouldn't have. Given that, I'd say it worked out well.

Next weekend is entirely up in the air. I think Brandi and I will probably go out to dinner and perhaps a movie after she gets off work on Friday, and there's a BG basketball game on Sunday. In between, anything could happen.

No comments: