Monday, April 25, 2005

Is There a Draft in Here?

Ah, NFL draft weekend. I can't explain the appeal, but neither can I deny it. I love the draft. I think it's mostly because I love college football, and I really like the NFL. The draft brings the two together, and it's just a lot of fun to see where everyone ends up. For non-competition, it makes for some great sports television.

That wasn't all that went on this past weekend, but it was a pretty big part of it. Brandi and I decided to visit my hometown of Troy this weekend. We were originally going to head down there on Saturday afternoon after she taught her class. However, we were out on Thursday night with a bunch of her fitness training peers, and she found a substitute teacher for her class. So we were able to head down on Friday night instead.

First things first, though. Despite being out late on Thursday, both of us had to be up early on Friday. Brandi had to be up earlier than I did, but I had to get up to go to my Photoshop seminar. When I got home after the seminar, I was totally fried. Brandi was already napping, so I just crawled in and joined her for a bit.

I only slept for an hour or so, and then we got up and got on the road. We arrived at my parents' house around 9:30. We didn't really do much for the rest of the evening; we ordered a pizza and hung out with my mom and my dog. We didn't stay up for too long. I was up a little later than Brandi or Mom, but even I was in bed by 1:30 a.m. That's early for me, even on worknights.

Consequently, we got up much earlier than we normally would on Saturday. I think it was around 10:30. Mom and Dad weren't home, so we just got up and had some toast and read the newspaper. Mom got home from the grocery shortly thereafter, so I helped her bring in the groceries.

Then the draft started, and a large portion of the afternoon was dedicated to watching it. Just to watching the first round, actually. Surprisingly, Brandi was interested. Still, as the afternoon wore on, she started to get a little bored. She alleviated it for a while by taking a short nap, but then she woke up and we had to do something else.

We started off by going out to pick up a birthday present for our friend Amy. From there we went to BW3 in Troy, where we met up with Amy and her husband Doug. Amy had some coupons for free stuff there, but we all really like that place anyway. Those coupons were the impetus for Brandi and I coming home, actually, at least to a certain extent. Amy had called us when she got them, knowing how much we like B-Dubs and hoping to coax us down for a weekend. As it turned out, it was a good weekend for it anyway. Amy's mom was recently diagnosed with cancer, so she and Doug needed to get out for a bit and get their minds off of it for a while.

After B-Dubs we went up to Piqua to hang out at Amy and Doug's place. There we presented Amy with her present: Brandi had picked out a bunch of girly lotions and stuff for her. We played some board games after that. We started with Cranium, which is a pretty cool game that relies on creativity and stuff at least as much as esoteric knowledge of trivia. Brandi and I won that one. We started to play Tri-Bond (a game where you have to figure out the common bond among three things) after that, but everyone else lost interest in it when it turned out that I was really good at it. We gave up on that a few turns in and turned instead to the game of Life. Brandi won that one, but I'll consider myself a winner since I was the only one to make it all the way around the board without winding up with any kids. Just like real life, say I.

We went home after that, and being fairly late, we went right to bed. We slept in on Sunday. I don't remember exactly when we got up, but it was into the afternoon. Mom made us some breakfast, despite our protestations that we didn't want any. Also despite those protestations, we ate it. Then we settled in to watch more draft. Brandi went back to bed and slept for quite a while. I kept watching the draft, but even I fell asleep for a short while myself.

After Brandi woke up, it was time to gather up our stuff and come on back to BG. It wasn't a particularly exciting weekend, but it was a good one. It's always good to get back to Troy for a couple of days. I don't know exactly when we'll be back there again, but hopefully it won't be too far into the future.


Does life get better than this?

No comments: