Monday, May 16, 2005

Full Immersion

Star Wars week has begun.

I don't think I can adequately express in words how excited I am for this week's opening of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. I've been looking forward to it since Attack of the Clones passed out of theaters nearly three years ago, and it's finally close enough to almost taste. What little I've allowed myself to see in terms of footage from and information about the movie looks very good. I'm hoping that this film will be George Lucas's triumphal return to the saga he created in 1977, and it sounds as though there's a good chance that is the case.

In preparation, I'm immersing myself in the Star Wars universe as much as possible this week. I've been re-reading a couple of my favorite novels from the expanded universe; I have been and will be watching some of the films on DVD; I'm listening to the soundtracks in my car. On Wednesday, I'll bust out a Star Wars t-shirt to wear all day, and that night I and my friends will go see the very first public showing.

Excited as I am, though, I have to get up on my soapbox for a moment. You know one thing I could really do without? The constant condescenscion of people for Star Wars fans. Get over it. It's no different than a passion for sports, or music, or cars, or anything else that people get into. Being a Star Wars fan in itself does not make someone a loser; no, not even if they stand in line for weeks to get tickets, dressed in full costume. I get tired of hearing this crap all the time. I have no problem when someone has a little fun with it, because let's face it: fans can be a little over-the-top at times. But that's true of fans of anything, and there's a difference between being made fun of ("fun" being the key word) and being derided and mocked. It just gets old. Just realize that everyone has more than one dimension, and move on.

Okay, I'm done ranting, and back to being excited. Two days from now, I'll be at the theater, hopefully in my seat already and waiting for the start of the show. I'm sad that this is going to be the last film, but I'll deal with that later. For now I'm just ready to see it.

No comments: