Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Tales From a Long Weekend

Ah, the long weekend. As enjoyable as it is, in some ways it's almost as much a curse as it is a blessing. It's never a bad thing to have the extra day off to just chill out or to get some extra stuff done, but it makes it even harder than usual to finally face the music and return to work. On the other hand, an added benefit of the three-day weekend is the short four-day week that follows or precedes it. Realizing that today was Tuesday instead of Monday brought me great joy at several points during the day.

Not much was planned for this particular long weekend, but it turned out to be fairly busy, and a good one. It got off to a rousing start: Brandi had to work late into Friday evening, so I stopped at a local movie house after work and saw my third showing of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. I thought a 5:30 showing would be pretty empty, but it was not. It wasn't packed, but it was much fuller than I thought it would be. The only problem with that was the couple down near the front which could or would not make their two children shut up, and they talked and whined throughout nearly the entire film. When I was young, I lived in fear of being thrown out of movies by ushers for making too much noise, but apparently the most expensive movie house in Toledo doesn't bother with ushers or anything like that, and instead lets noisy patrons disturb the peace for everyone who would like to enjoy the movie in relative silence. Not that I'm bitter or anything. Still, their incessant babbling was mostly drowned out by the film's soundtrack, and I didn't let it affect my enjoyment of the film too much.

On Saturday afternoon we drove up to Catawba Island on Lake Erie to visit Brandi's dad and stepmom, who have a boat docked there. That was pretty fun. Her dad took us out for a ride on his new boat, and then they grilled some food when we got back. Her parents have some friends up there as well, so there was quite a crowd. Most of them were eating lobster, which Brandi's older brother had brought from New Hampshire, but I can't do seafood. I stuck with food made from land animals--hamburgers and hot dogs.

We left the lake in the evening and came back to Bowling Green. We stopped to pick up some drinks and then went to my friend Mike's apartment. He and his girlfriend Charissa were having a party to celebrate her birthday. We hung out there for a while, and then a large group of us went out to the bars. We went to a couple of places here in town. Brandi had to work the next afternoon, so she and I didn't stay out to close the places down.

Brandi got home from work pretty early on Sunday afternoon. We didn't have much on the agenda except normal day-to-day stuff like going to the grocery. Later in the evening we headed up to Toledo to hit the bars yet again. Brandi had set her stepsister April up on a date with one of her co-workers, a guy named Don, so we went to join them for a few drinks. They were already having a really good time when Brandi and I got there. We hung out for a while--I ran into one of my own co-workers, in fact--and it was a pretty good time. We went to a couple of places, and then we went back to Don's house to play some euchre. Brandi and I didn't get back to our apartment until almost 4:00 a.m. Luckily, neither of us had anything to do on Monday, so it was no big deal to be out so late.

Of course, Brandi decided to get up on Monday and go work out. I chose instead to keep sleeping. Once she got back, the day really did end up being dedicated to mundane tasks like laundry and cleaning. I wasn't particularly thrilled about this, but we do have some visitors coming in the next week, so it was probably a good idea. I did manage, over the course of the day, to finally finish reading War and Remembrance, which I had been working through since October. Toward the end of the evening, Brandi and I watched the movie In Good Company, which I had borrowed from work. It was a good, surprisingly thought-provoking little movie.

I wasn't entirely ready to go to work this morning, but I did what I had to do. I had to snap out of it quickly, too--it's going to be one crazy week. I won't be complaining about being bored at work, I can tell you that right now.

No comments: