After three full weeks of waiting (when they promised it would be only two), I got my iPod back yesterday.
I had a bad feeling when I opened the box it was packaged in and looked at the sheet that described the service performed. Basically it said they had popped open the iPod and reseated a cable, then updated the software, and everything was fine. That, unfortunately, was not the case. As soon as I plugged it in to update, it started doing the same thing it was doing before. The iPod's hard drive was cleared during service, which was expected, yet it said it was only adding 52 songs when I have over 2,800 in my library. When it said it was finished, there were still no songs on the iPod.
I played around with it for a little while and finally got it to say that it was adding all 2,800+ songs to the iPod. This process started around 7:30 p.m., and it had "added" about 1,800 songs by the time I went to bed around 1:30 a.m. When I got up this morning, the first thing I did was check my iPod. The iTunes software said the update was complete, but the iPod said there were no songs on it.
I wasn't exactly surprised, but I was definitely irritated, to put it mildly. It wasn't the best way to start my day, at any rate. If they were going to send back the same iPod and not a replacement, they should have made damned sure that it was in working order. Since they didn't, it looks like I'll be taking it back to the store yet again this evening. This time I'll be pushing for a replacement rather than two to three more weeks waiting for it to be returned from service which probably won't work anyway. I love the iPod, but it's not doing me any good if it doesn't work.