Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Miscellaneous

(Mostly) Wedding Post # 3: F**king A

* What a way to start off the week: almost being killed (twice) on the way to work by a lady driving a Lexus SUV, a girl who was too busy putting on hairspray and mascara to bother with such mundane details as heeding "Yield" signs or keeping her obnoxious vehicle in a single lane.

* This week is going to pass by very slowly if people keep asking me about the wedding as much as they have today. I'm expecting a slow week. Actually, it should be a pretty peaceful week. Just about everything is taken care of at this point, unless something comes up between now and the rehearsal on Friday. I do have to write some vows or something, I think.

* I won't go into detail on my bachelor party, but I do want to give a shout out to my boys Mike, Matt, Mike, and Walt for showing me a killer time. I picked a great group of guys, and they definitely sent me out in style. Unfortunately, a couple of guys I invited weren't able to make it, and they really missed out. It was a perfect mix of "clean and wholesome" and "drunk and debaucherous," and there's no way I could have had a better time, even if I had planned it myself.

* No, I'm still not nervous, despite the fact that the wedding is now a scant four days away. I am, however, starting to get a little bit excited, at least for the reception. The inability to invite everyone notwithstanding, we do have a pretty good crew coming, the food will be awesome, there should be plenty of alcohol, and we put together a good list of tunes for the DJ. Hopefully that will be enough to keep people around and having a good time until we have to close the place down.

* I'm also pretty excited about the week following the wedding, when Brandi and I will be jetting off to Cozumel for a few days. If nothing else, it'll be awesome to get out of town and away from work for a while. I haven't been on a real vacation in a long time. I've never been to Mexico, so that should be really cool. Actually, I've only flown twice before, and that was just from Dayton to Grand Rapids and back. So this whole thing will be a totally new experience for me.

* Brandi and I went on Sunday night to see X-Men: The Last Stand. Pretty good movie, but not nearly as good as the first two. That's disappointing, because the first two were awesome, and this one had a lot of potential to be better than it was. The first two did such a great job of developing the mutants' characters, and this one fell a little short in that regard. It relied on action more than character development, and thus some of the characters (especially the new ones) felt pretty extraneous. It was also a little cheesy in parts (it made me think of He-Man sometimes), whereas the first two were so easy to take seriously. I think it was a mistake for the studio not to go ahead with production instead of waiting for Bryan Singer to direct, but I suppose it doesn't really matter. The film is already making a ton of money, and it's not like it was terrible. I just think it's a shame that it didn't live up to its full potential.

No comments: