Monday, July 24, 2006

Part 2: Rectifying the Situation

Now that I have all that out of my system, it's time to look at exactly what I can do to improve my situation.

Believe it or not, I didn't start my last post with the intention of just banging on my current job. It just ended up coming out that way. Aside from the sub-adequate compensation, I mostly like working where I do. I like my co-workers (for the most part), and it's a pretty good work environment. If I can make things work here, I will. My first step will be a meeting with the head of my department, which I hope to set up in the next couple of weeks, to discuss my options for advancement. If nothing else, I just want to get a feel for what's out there. I know our company is getting ready to launch yet another new division, so I may be able to become involved with that.

That does not mean, however, that I am committed to staying put to the exclusion of exploring other options that may be available. My resume is updated and ready to go; now I just need to find some places to which to send it. As I said, my search is limited to the Toledo area for now, as Brandi is in grad school until May. Even when she's done our preference would be to remain in the I-75 corridor somewhere between Toledo and Dayton, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

The ideal situation for me would be to find a position with BGSU, and even more ideal would be if that position were in the athletic department. That would be the sort of job that I would actually look forward to doing each day, and I don't think it would even particularly matter exactly what it was I was doing. I'd just enjoy being involved in whatever small way with Falcon athletics, or, to a lesser degree, the university in general. Beyond that, I'd really like to get into anything dealing with sports in some capacity. Well, let me amend that to any of the three major sports--football, basketball, or baseball. Not that I would object to getting involved with other sports, but they wouldn't grab me the way those three would.

Getting back to the realm of reality (excluding college athletic departments, there don't seem to be many sports jobs in this area, besides maybe the Mud Hens), I'd probably most like to stick with something that actually allows me to utilize my education in some form. I like editing, and I'm good at it. It would be awesome if I could get away from editing small marketing snippets and move into editing full text, but I'm not terribly picky. If there was some creativity, perhaps even some writing of my own involved, that would be even better. I would also really like it if I could continue doing at least some minor graphics work. I dabble in working with Photoshop now, and while it isn't my primary responsibility, I really enjoy it.

So that's what I'm looking for. I would be totally ecstatic if I could luck into an opportunity which would engage and challenge me as well as paying me relatively well. At this point, I would probably settle for one or the other. Let the search begin!

No comments: