Thursday, August 24, 2006

Counting the Ways

You may as well resign yourselves to the fact that this blog will be dominated by football for at least the next ten weeks. I'll still write about other stuff, I'm sure, but you can count on consistent football discussion. At least I'll be writing more often.

I mentioned in my last post that I could go on and on about the things I like about high school football. I mentioned a few of them, so here's a more complete list (and I reserve the right to add to this list as time goes on and more things come to mind). What I mentioned before will be repeated, as I want this to be as complete of a list as possible. So, without further ado, and in no particular order:

  • The anticipation for the season.
  • Exchanging emails with friends in the days leading up to a game.
  • Reading previews and predictions the morning of the game.
  • The anticipation for each game, especially during Piqua week.
  • The annual bonfire before the Piqua game, even though I live too far away to go anymore.
  • Taking the afternoon off work before the Piqua game.
  • The drive from Toledo to Troy and points beyond.
  • The night drive back to BG when I drive back the same night after the game.
  • Spending time at home with parents when I stick around in Troy.
  • The "Football" playlist I've created on my iPod.
  • Seeing stadium lights from afar.
  • The local TV news helicopter landing on the field to deliver the game ball when the Trojans are playing in the "Game of the Week."
  • Visiting different towns and stadiums.
  • Seeing crowds of people stream toward the stadium.
  • Being asked a hundred times to buy a program on my way in from the parking lot.
  • Watching the sun set from the stands of Troy Memorial Stadium.
  • The smell from the concession stand.
  • Food from the concession stand.
  • Browsing the Trojan souvenir stand (and making an occasional purchase).
  • Being able to wear shorts and t-shirts to the first few games.
  • The crispening weather that necessitates a switch to sweatshirts and jeans, and later to jackets and coats.
  • Hot chocolate.
  • Seeing the leaves change color from week to week.
  • Red and gray banners, signs, ribbons, and painted windows all over town.
  • The different warmup routines for each team.
  • The way the helmets shine under the lights.
  • Sharing the game with my wife Brandi and my friends Amy and Doug when they join me, which they usually do.
  • Enjoying the game by myself on the rare occasions when no one joins me.
  • Listening to other people comment on the game, coaches, players, and officials.
  • Striking up conversations about the game with total strangers seated near me.
  • Seeing familiar faces, especially at away games that required a bit of travel.
  • The voice of the P.A. announcer echoing into the night.
  • Seeing high school kids in their element and being reminded of my own high school days.
  • The national anthem played by a marching band.
  • The way the players charge onto the field and into a dogpile before the game.
  • The little plastic footballs the cheerleaders toss into the crowd after a score.
  • The Wing-T offense.
  • The sound of helmets and pads colliding.
  • Displays of good sportsmanship.
  • The roar of the crowd during a big play.
  • "Tribute to Troy."
  • Halftime shows.
  • The tension in the crowd during a close game.
  • Players with pristine uniforms coming into lopsided games.
  • The thrill of a big win.
  • Listening to the radio in the car after the game for scores of other games.
  • Watching all the highlights that night on the news.
  • Writing recaps of the games from my perspective for this very blog.
  • Reading game stories and recaps in the paper the next day.
  • No comments: